----------------------------------- hey_joe42 Thu Mar 20, 2003 8:51 pm bad sort? ----------------------------------- there something that seems wrong with my sort can anyone pinpoint it, like it should work it using records count := 0 loop open : fn, "inventory1.bin", read, seek exit when eof (fn) seek:fn,count*sizeof(inventory) exit when eof (fn) count += 1 put count read : fn, prod read : fn, prod2 put prod.manufacturer, ":", prod2.manufacturer delay (1000) if prod.manufacturer > prod2.manufacturer then temp := prod prod := prod2 prod2 := temp end if close : fn open : fn, "inventory1.bin", write, mod, seek put (count-1)*sizeof(inventory) delay(2000) seek : fn, (count - 1) * sizeof (inventory) write : fn, prod, prod2 close:fn end loop ----------------------------------- Blade Thu Mar 20, 2003 8:52 pm ----------------------------------- your open should be out of the loop ----------------------------------- hey_joe42 Thu Mar 20, 2003 9:48 pm ----------------------------------- This sort just doesn't work how would you do a sort using records k i want to do a bubble sort, for records in binary file but for some reason mine doesn't work so i was wondering if anyone could take a try for me with what should work k the records are prod, prod2 and temp%temp file and well just do a sort for the products so it be prod.product and prod2.product for somereason my above not only doesn't work doesn't exit? whatever's up with that and unless you guys have a tutorial for binary files and records of bubble sort, prolly another tutorial won't work since i know how to do a bubble sort ----------------------------------- Tony Thu Mar 20, 2003 10:11 pm ----------------------------------- what you mean it doesnt exit? bubble sort's suppost to be 2 forloops :? posting your code is a good idea in situations like this :wink: ----------------------------------- hey_joe42 Thu Mar 20, 2003 10:18 pm ----------------------------------- ooo whoops good point, my bubble sort is all wrong then, but still how would you do two loops like i have my code posted on the topic msg, but k how do i make it in to a bubble sort, how would i go about making two for loops for this cuz there not arrays ----------------------------------- Tony Thu Mar 20, 2003 10:29 pm ----------------------------------- 1st of all, get rid of delays... I donno why you would stick a delay in a sort :? 2nd read your info into an array... with bubble sort, you'd have to compare and rewrite the order a LOT. Reading through the whole file each time is not very efficient since harddrive is much, much SLOWER then memory. you can declear an array of custom type, and then sort comparing just 1 value in the record. You should rewrite your program to work with the array instead of files, load info into an array at the start of the program and save back to a file at the end of it (or after permament action such as addition or deletion of a record). Operation such as a sort should not be writen to the file.