----------------------------------- Blade Thu Mar 20, 2003 5:24 pm getting certian parts of files ----------------------------------- ok, i have to do this program, that gets only one part of a file... i have 2 coloms listed (underscores are spaces) 10____100 12____144 14____196 16____256 and so on how would i get only the second colomn of numbers to use in my program? i need the second colomn to square root it and add it to a third colomn. (i know the square root is the first colomn, but thats what i need to do) ----------------------------------- Tony Thu Mar 20, 2003 5:28 pm ----------------------------------- well the easiest way is to read both columns and just ignore the first one. Otherwise you'd have to figure out random-access (using read/write instead of put/get... there're some working programs with that posted on the board, you just have to look). get word1 %ignore put word1 %rewrite to new file get word2 %2nd column put word2 %rewrite put word2**2 %calculate 3rd column something like that ----------------------------------- Blade Thu Mar 20, 2003 5:31 pm ----------------------------------- ah i see... i never really though of that :)