----------------------------------- C.Kent Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:51 pm University of Guelph Software Engineering - Questions about the program ----------------------------------- Hello everyone, I am glad I have found this forum since I was dead in the water when looking for feedback about University of Guelph's computing bachelor program (major in Software engineer). The quality and reputation of the program is nothing I am worried about. However, what I am curious about are more specific and I am hoping some UofG students can answer them as best as they can. How difficult are the required courses? What are the average grades in these courses? Is it possible to get an A or A+ in almost all required courses? What are some professors some courses to avoid that are GPA killers? How is the Co-op? and additionally do you pay more for it (I will recheck their calendar)? Thanks everyone, C. ----------------------------------- Tony Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:21 pm RE:University of Guelph Software Engineering - Questions about the program ----------------------------------- I haven't gone to UofG, but I'm of the opinion that this set of questions might not be the right thing to ask. It depends on your motivations; and the problem here is that you've already decided on the course of action (secure high grades), but might not have considered if this is the right path. Let me elaborate. I think there might be a requirement for high grades to maintain a scholarship, or if aiming for grad school (or possibly just transferring to a different school). In either case, there are better quality questions you could ask (personal finance, income from co-op, research opportunities, finding advisors, transfer requirements/experience). Otherwise I believe that taking courses that don't challenge you are too much of an easy route, and are not that valuable. Looking back, my most memorable and character-building courses were those with a real chance of failure, while easy-As had little impact. Besides, we have different experiences and skills, and someone's easy course is another's GPA killer (e.g. I worked with databases during co-op and the class was boring easy-A, while many others did not have similar experience and struggled to pass). ----------------------------------- C.Kent Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:06 pm Re: RE:University of Guelph Software Engineering - Questions about the program ----------------------------------- I haven't gone to UofG, but I'm of the opinion that this set of questions might not be the right thing to ask. It depends on your motivations; and the problem here is that you've already decided on the course of action (secure high grades), but might not have considered if this is the right path. Let me elaborate. I think there might be a requirement for high grades to maintain a scholarship, or if aiming for grad school (or possibly just transferring to a different school). In either case, there are better quality questions you could ask (personal finance, income from co-op, research opportunities, finding advisors, transfer requirements/experience). Otherwise I believe that taking courses that don't challenge you are too much of an easy route, and are not that valuable. Looking back, my most memorable and character-building courses were those with a real chance of failure, while easy-As had little impact. Besides, we have different experiences and skills, and someone's easy course is another's GPA killer (e.g. I worked with databases during co-op and the class was boring easy-A, while many others did not have similar experience and struggled to pass). Hey Tony thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, since graduate school is my goal I need to protect my GPA as much as possible. I give 100% for every course I take but some professors are just tough to crack and I guess I want to know what I might get myself into. Since some courses are requirements and can't be avoided I have to buckle down and study hard. ----------------------------------- Chist Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:10 pm RE:University of Guelph Software Engineering - Questions about the program ----------------------------------- Hey! I'm a first-year student here at Guelph in the Computer Science program. I took the same required courses as what is recommended for Software Engineering this semester (Intro to Programming and Software Design). To be completely honest they are my easiest classes this semester, and the lowest mark I've received in either of those classes is an 80 (in one lab). The Computer Science and Software Engineering programs have essentially the same courses, except Soft Eng student don't need to take Calculus I and need to take Software Design every semester. First year the lowest average to maintain (if you get into Co-op) is 70%, which isn't too high! From what I've heard there is a second-year class that has been known to be difficult only because of the way its structured. Each assignment builds on the previous one, so you'll just need to work hard! As far as co-op goes I am in the co-op program but don't have a work term until the summer of 2016. If you are in the co-op program you'll have to take the co-op course during second semester on top of 5 other courses, but I've heard that its work mainly involves working on resumes and cover letters, so it can't be too difficult. If I've missed anything just ask and I'll do my best to answer, seeing as I'm only a first year lol ----------------------------------- Panphobia Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:57 am RE:University of Guelph Software Engineering - Questions about the program ----------------------------------- I also go to the University of Guelph, but I am a 3rd year Computer Science student. By the way Chist, it is not true that Compsci and Softeng students have the same courses. Softeng students do not have to take Discrete Mathematics 2, Algorithms, or Theory of Computation. In my opinion Algorithms and Theory of Computation are kind of the core of computer science and making them not required is kind of unnerving. I have had a lot of professors rant that everything special about the software engineering program can be summed up by two courses that both softeng and compsci students have to take (CIS*3750, and CIS*3760 fyi). But as for the difficulty of the courses, there is nothing too difficult. A lot of people say that CIS*2750 is a difficult course, calling it the, "Angel of Death" but it is really nothing to be worried about if you start assignments early. I have also heard from professors that 2nd year is the "weed out" year, that is to say that they try to make it difficult and weed out the people that aren't actually good at compsci or don't put the effort in. ----------------------------------- Chist Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:45 pm RE:University of Guelph Software Engineering - Questions about the program ----------------------------------- My apologies for the mistake! ----------------------------------- Night Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:24 pm RE:University of Guelph Software Engineering - Questions about the program ----------------------------------- Tony's right in his post. Some people do get high marks in most/all of their courses, but they put the effort in to do so. Unfortunately, since graduate school is my goal I need to protect my GPA as much as possible. If you want to go into academia, then Guelph's CS major is probably a better choice since it has more "traditional theory" courses, whereas Software Engineering is more applied and industry-focused. I'd also check the requirements for your desired grad program to make sure that you cover prerequisite courses. You could do the SE major and take the courses that CS requires, but there's no guarantee that course times won't overlap. I would suggest doing co-op if you're fine with adding an extra year on your degree, and having to apply to/interview for jobs while also doing your studies. There is a fee for 8 of your semesters (I think), but it's only ~$270/semester, which isn't much when you're working. What are some professors some courses to avoid that are GPA killers? Most courses are only offered once per year, so if you avoid taking a required course specifically because of what you've heard about the prof, you're going to set yourself back a year. For electives, the professor may or may not change the following year if that's their expertise. If you're interested in a course, take it, and if it's not working out you can drop it without penalty (aside from cost, which may partially be refunded depending how far into the semester you are) within the first 40 days of class. ----------------------------------- C.Kent Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:48 pm Re: University of Guelph Software Engineering - Questions about the program ----------------------------------- WOW! Thanks for all the helpful responses. This has definitely helped things out. Once again thanks everyone.