----------------------------------- Blade Wed Mar 19, 2003 7:37 pm Grr... stupid put command things ----------------------------------- for some reason i cant get my strings to move over, when i want them to, but the integers will ! :( i dont know of any other way to do this though... as an example put "crap":20 what i'm trying to do is read 5 names, from a file, 5 marks, and 5 addresses and line them up in a table as an example John 123 Fake St. 86 Bill 45 Valley Ave 34 and so on... but for some reason, i cant get strings to move over, and all that's readable from files are strings... ----------------------------------- Tony Wed Mar 19, 2003 7:43 pm ----------------------------------- i donno... works for me. It adds extra spaces AFTER the string though. put "":round(maxcol/2 - length("tony")/2), "tony" that would put "tony" right in the center of the screen. ----------------------------------- Asok Wed Mar 19, 2003 7:48 pm ----------------------------------- You need to calculate the correct variable for :x x is not always equal to 20 it is equal to 20 minus the characters before so everything starts on the same line. ----------------------------------- Blade Wed Mar 19, 2003 7:56 pm ----------------------------------- well i think it still should move over, its not doing anything edit: haha i figured it out ----------------------------------- Vicous Thu Mar 20, 2003 11:11 am ----------------------------------- strings and numbers are aligned different, strings will put the extra spaces to the right, numbers put extra spaces to the right eg. put "Hi":20,"bye" gives you 18 spaces (20-# of letters) Hi__________________bye var number:int:=10 put number,"Bye" gives you 18 spaces, the number 10 followed by the word bye __________________10Bye I hope this explains it P.S. 1 underscore (_) equals 1 space, the forum edits out extra spaces ----------------------------------- Blade Thu Mar 20, 2003 11:32 am ----------------------------------- yea thanks, i was playin around with it and i figured it out... numbers have extra spaces before them, whereas strings have extra spaces after them :D