----------------------------------- rizzix Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:10 am Request a Tutorial ----------------------------------- Ok since there are three different individuals (as of today: Feb 05, 2004) that know java enough to write tutorials (whether its simple or advance) and there are a lot of individuals in the process of learning this language, I decided to create one thread in which people may suggest a tutorial. This way what the public wants is what the public gets (hopefully). So go ahead guys, post: ----------------------------------- GreenTiger Wed Jun 30, 2004 3:28 pm ----------------------------------- Here's some interesting sites that may have some of what everyone needs. http://www.cafeaulait.org/books/jdr/examples/ http://leepoint.net/notes-java/index.html http://javaboutique.internet.com/tutorials/Java_Game_Programming/ ----------------------------------- Jonny Tight Lips Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:06 pm ----------------------------------- I'm just coming to Java from turing so I read the hello world tutorial which was very good but it only did output not input. So a tutarial on input would be good and also a tutorial on if staments would also be nice. I might just be blind and missed something if there is a tutorial alread on these I appologize. ----------------------------------- rizzix Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:56 pm ----------------------------------- its already up there: [url=http://www.compsci.ca/v2/viewtopic.php?t=1171]Read / Write to Terminal ----------------------------------- Hikaru79 Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:15 pm ----------------------------------- How about a tutorial all about Abstract classes? For fun, in my spare time, I'm making a chemistry program that should be able to pass grade 11/12 Chemistry (balance equations, determine empirical formulas, predict products, model molecules, etc) and I'm thinking of structuring it as an abstract class "Element" and have each Element inherit it and give it their own twist (since many elements have lots of strange exceptions, like Boron being OK with a 6-electron octet, etc). But I'm afraid I don't know enough about Abstract classes to implement this model as efficiently as it could be. And besides, it's an important OOP concept that probably others would find very useful :) ----------------------------------- rizzix Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:53 pm ----------------------------------- already up: [url=http://www.compsci.ca/v2/viewtopic.php?t=2033]Abstract Class, Interface and Nested Class ----------------------------------- Jonny Tight Lips Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:49 am ----------------------------------- ok but there isn't a tutorial on if staments. So that would be good. ----------------------------------- wtd Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:03 pm ----------------------------------- ok but there isn't a tutorial on if staments. So that would be good. While I usually am the first to say that Java and C++ are radically different programming languages, when it comes to if statements, they work pretty much identically. ----------------------------------- zylum Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:27 pm ----------------------------------- how about a tutorial on drawing in java applets... like polygons and choosing custom collours. i was thinking of comverting my turing 3d engine into java ----------------------------------- Hikaru79 Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:44 am ----------------------------------- I know about [url=http://www.compsci.ca/v2/viewtopic.php?t=2039]this Tutorial, but perhaps a more general one about Java's NET module and capabilities in general? I must admit I know nothing about this topic :oops: ----------------------------------- rizzix Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:41 pm ----------------------------------- thats a webservice tutorial... not a java networking tutorial. there's a difference. webservice is more of a philosophy and stresses on os/implementation independent, interoperability. its makes networking a hell a lot easier, with one drawback (well for xml-webservices anyways) it add a lot to the network overhead. i mean every call to a remote procedure sends an xml document describing the results which the client inteprets and converts to a usable form. RPC can also be done using the Java RMI (Remote Method Invocation) package. It provides similar functionality as xml-rpc webservices, but it does not send an entire xml doc, instead binary packets. Thus it improves performance. The drawback here is that it does not stress on interoperability. It's a good choice but it will not teach you anything about real java networking. For that you would definately require a tutorial of somesort in the java.net package. ;) ----------------------------------- the_short1 Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:07 pm ----------------------------------- Can you please make a Tut for Buttons For Dummies :? .. yea..... i know the swing class .. . but basically i want to add buttons to make a calculator.. this is basically what i want to learn how to do loop // swing input "enter number 1" create a window with all the operation buttons display button with text "+" if you press button "+" then operation ="Add"; display button with "-" //etc.. // swing input "number 2" if (operation.equalsTo == "add") result = n1 + n2; else yada yada display result exit if you push exit button end loop .. so if anyone were to make a buttons for dummies tut.. i would greatly apreciate it thanks -kevin ----------------------------------- The_$hit Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:32 pm ----------------------------------- Does any one know the syntax of overloading operators. i know in C++ but i do not in java. my compilier tells me that there is an expected";" after i have declared the operator. ----------------------------------- Martin Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:53 pm ----------------------------------- There's no operator overloading in java. ----------------------------------- The_$hit Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:35 pm ----------------------------------- WHAAAA?!?! My Programming teacher says it is possible. it was even in his hand book. ----------------------------------- rizzix Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:52 pm ----------------------------------- yea well he knows nothing. get him fired. ----------------------------------- Hikaru79 Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:01 pm ----------------------------------- How about a JDBC tutorial? I'm going to be using it for my final project, and I'm pretty sure rizzix's way of explaining it will be better than java.sun.com 's :D ----------------------------------- Martin Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:01 pm ----------------------------------- How about a tutorial on a quick way to convert a disgusting mess of 10's of thousands of lines of C and C++ into clean Java. Hah, I'd pay a lot for that... ----------------------------------- wtd Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:43 pm ----------------------------------- How about a tutorial on a quick way to convert a disgusting mess of 10's of thousands of lines of C and C++ into clean Java. Hah, I'd pay a lot for that... That would require Java to be somehow magically "clean". You can write fugly code in Java. You can write fugly code in any language. ----------------------------------- Martin Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:09 pm ----------------------------------- Hence the need for an Ugly C/C++ -> Sleek Java converter. $1000 anyone? ----------------------------------- wtd Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:24 pm ----------------------------------- If someone could do it, you'd be able to download it from sourceforge. ----------------------------------- Hikaru79 Sat May 21, 2005 4:36 pm ----------------------------------- How about a tutorial on using Apache's Ant Java build tool? I'm writing my final project and one of the hardest tasks seems to be getting all the classpaths and stuff right on any machines not using NetBeans. Distributing them with an ant build script would take all the work out of that :D ----------------------------------- Trojan Man Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:53 am ----------------------------------- It'd be nice to have a tutorial on threads and flicker-free animations, since a lot of assignments require animation. ----------------------------------- xHoly-Divinity Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:51 pm ----------------------------------- I was lookin around the forum... couldn't find anything about double buffering (mayb it exists, but i couldn't find it). I'm making a java game and it keeps flickering, I hear the thing to do is to use double buffering ----------------------------------- rizzix Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:19 pm ----------------------------------- Yea, no tutorial as such.. You're right we need one. Either way it was brought up in a Help discussion, long long time ago. http://compsci.ca/v2/viewtopic.php?t=3740 Hope it helps. ----------------------------------- Spastic Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:50 am HttpUrlConnection ----------------------------------- Im not new to java so writing me a tut shouldnt be 2 hard :lol: what i need to know is how to use HttpUrlConnection, im trying to write a sript that can register to forums/websites and shit but i dont know anything about HttpUrlConnection :S can anyone help? ;) ----------------------------------- rizzix Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:39 pm ----------------------------------- That would require reinventing quite a bit of the wheel, since HtmlUrlConnection, is quite a low level HTTP class. I suggest you try: http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/httpclient ----------------------------------- Spastic Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:58 am ----------------------------------- That would require reinventing quite a bit of the wheel, since HtmlUrlConnection, is quite a low level HTTP class. I suggest you try: http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/httpclient HtmlUrlConnection? who said anything about that? nah jokin i fucked up it was meant to be HttpUrlConnection lol sorry... ----------------------------------- Spastic Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:01 pm ----------------------------------- How about a JDBC tutorial? I'm going to be using it for my final project, and I'm pretty sure rizzix's way of explaining it will be better than java.sun.com 's :D im sure i saw a video tut on JDBC and ODBC stuff il edit this when i find it ;) Edit: http://homepages.shu.ac.uk/~sgreasle/seang/Tutorials/java/31/31.htm there ya go ;) ----------------------------------- jin Sun May 28, 2006 10:53 am ----------------------------------- Hi can i get a tutorial on keyboard and mouse action listeners. thnx ----------------------------------- wtd Sun May 28, 2006 11:26 am ----------------------------------- Hi can i get a tutorial on keyboard and mouse action listeners. thnx Learn about three things, and you won't need a tutorial on this subject. :) Interfaces Anonymous Inner Classes How to use the API refs at java.sun.com ----------------------------------- jin Sun May 28, 2006 5:30 pm ----------------------------------- i just read wat u wrote about interfaces and dont see a connection yet. i am making a simple maze game and just need to know how to translate the arrow keys to the movements in the game. If there is a simpler way plz lemme kno. i will still continue to look at the other two things u mentioned previously. ----------------------------------- wtd Sun May 28, 2006 6:08 pm ----------------------------------- Java has anonymous inner classes (among other reasons) because it lacks a way to anonymously defines first class chunks of executable code any other way. Anonymous inner classes are just subclasses of Object that implement an interface. By defining an anonymous inner class that implements an ActionListener interface, we can essentially provide a callback function, to be called when a given "action" occurs. ----------------------------------- gsquare567 Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:17 pm ----------------------------------- a tutorial with an introduction to JFrame graphics/ making a game. thanx a lot ----------------------------------- Aziz Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:57 pm ----------------------------------- Here's a different one . . . a tutorial on making javadocs of your programs, and its uses. ----------------------------------- JMG Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:16 am RE:Request a Tutorial ----------------------------------- okay i know this isn't java specific but its the language that i'm working with right now so maybe a tutorial on recursion, graphs and trees b/c my comp sci teacher has not covered it. as well a tutorial that goes more indepth with swing. creating scrollers, textfields. Jlabels, Jframes, buttons, the works. but esspecially one for the top one would be very helpful. ----------------------------------- JMG Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:33 am RE:Request a Tutorial ----------------------------------- oh and also a tut on threads plz ----------------------------------- HellblazerX Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:37 am Re: RE:Request a Tutorial ----------------------------------- as well a tutorial that goes more indepth with swing. creating scrollers, textfields. Jlabels, Jframes, buttons, the works. but esspecially one for the top one would be very helpful. Check out this site: http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/ui/features/components.html ----------------------------------- kevin Noronha Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:32 pm Re: Request a Tutorial ----------------------------------- someone plz put a tutorial on java sets ----------------------------------- syntax_error Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:14 pm RE:Request a Tutorial ----------------------------------- http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/collections/interfaces/set.html JFGI ----------------------------------- Reality Check Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:42 pm Re: Request a Tutorial ----------------------------------- Is there a good tutorial on recursion I can use? ----------------------------------- wtd Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:28 pm RE:Request a Tutorial ----------------------------------- Recursion is so devastatingly simple if you know how to write and call methods that I am reasonably certain no tutorial is required beyond what has been provided. :) ----------------------------------- Reality Check Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:49 pm Re: Request a Tutorial ----------------------------------- Fair enough I guess. I just looked at your recursion example and usage in your intro to Java and its understandable. I get the basis of recursion and all but if possible could more applications be suggested? Maybe an example program or two where recursion is used in a more complicated matter? But other than that thanks wtd I get the basic idea. ----------------------------------- blackhawk_prince Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:13 am RE:Request a Tutorial ----------------------------------- Could someone post a good dynamic programing tutorial plz. ----------------------------------- Unforgiven Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:41 am Re: RE:Request a Tutorial ----------------------------------- Could someone post a good dynamic programing tutorial plz. I'm not sure if I still have it, but I'll check and see if I still have my notes and example code from a class I had a semester or two ago on it. I kind of doubt it, to be honest, but I'll dig around a bit. About recursion - the example they used in my classes a lot was that of a function that generated the Fibonacci sequence. In actual use, cases where it wasn't obvious that we were doing it just for the sake of doing recursion, the only place I ever remember doing recursive code is when dealing with trees, so if you're familiar with them and want to do more "real" examples, that'd be a good place to start. ----------------------------------- CodeMonkey2000 Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:50 pm Re: RE:Request a Tutorial ----------------------------------- Could someone post a good dynamic programing tutorial plz. DP is is computer science topic, nothing much to do with learning to program in Java. We already have a tutorial in general programming here. ----------------------------------- S_Grimm Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:45 pm RE:Request a Tutorial ----------------------------------- Can someone post a easy to understand tutorial on variable I\O? such as int, double, string, etc....? ----------------------------------- wtd Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:27 pm RE:Request a Tutorial ----------------------------------- Think abstractly. If you can read in a string, and you can convert a string to an int or double, well then... ----------------------------------- S_Grimm Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:26 am Re: Request a Tutorial ----------------------------------- I just tried looking through the tutorials and can't find one on Thread if anyone can point me in the direction of a decent tutorial on threads, it would be much appreciated. ----------------------------------- btiffin Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:56 pm RE:Request a Tutorial ----------------------------------- Whenever I (rarely) feel like delving into Java, I always visit the Sun site. http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/essential/concurrency/index.html Re; I/O http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/essential/io/ I know the good fellows and ladies of compsci.ca could probably run rings while bettering some of this information, but it's always nice to start at the source ... then branch out from there (imho). Cheers ----------------------------------- Bo0sT Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:46 pm Re: Request a Tutorial ----------------------------------- I would like a java tutorial on JLists and JTables, how add data to them, remove data from them and return data from them to your program. Also how to know when the user has clicked on a diffrent item in the list or table. I've tried teaching it to myself but ListDataListener and other things are giving me compile errors saying that it can't find them, I have swing and awt.event imported too. If anyone knows, please post a tutorial ----------------------------------- DemonWasp Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:18 pm RE:Request a Tutorial ----------------------------------- JList -> http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/uiswing/components/list.html JTable -> http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/uiswing/components/table.html ----------------------------------- Bo0sT Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:22 pm Interface Tutorial ----------------------------------- I'v been looking for a tutorial that will take me through creating interfaces A to Z, if anyone knows were i can find some please tell me ----------------------------------- wtd Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:29 pm RE:Request a Tutorial ----------------------------------- Interfaces in the OOP sense, or in the "I can click this on the screen" sense? For the latter, I doubt you'll find it. Graphical User Interfaces are big and complex and have many possibilities. Tutorials on that subject will teach you to go from A to B and B to C, but they will assume that if you can do that, you know how to go from A to C. ----------------------------------- Nai Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:29 pm RE:Request a Tutorial ----------------------------------- What about a tutorial on how to make a basic game? I've already looked at the introduction to Java, which helped A LOT, but I'm still not really sure how all that could create a game. I think I found something similar in the Turing section when I was programming in Turing, so I'd like to see one here just to get me started. ----------------------------------- TerranceN Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:17 pm RE:Request a Tutorial ----------------------------------- Sure, I will try to write one up tonight, if not then tomorrow. ----------------------------------- Nai Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:21 pm RE:Request a Tutorial ----------------------------------- Cool, thanks. I look forward to reading it :D ----------------------------------- Krocker Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:12 pm RE:Request a Tutorial ----------------------------------- hey can some one show me to a tutorial on creating buttons and check boxes? ----------------------------------- zuzoka Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:23 am RE:Request a Tutorial ----------------------------------- Could somebody make a tutorial about how to code a simple game simulating darts? ----------------------------------- Insectoid Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:50 am RE:Request a Tutorial ----------------------------------- There are plenty of tutorials about animations, mouse controls and simple games. Put the pieces together. Making a tutorial about a very specific game is nothing more than doing your homework for you.