----------------------------------- randint Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:00 pm University of Waterloo Internet Connection Problem ----------------------------------- So, I use Ubuntu 13.04 on my laptop that, for certain, has Wi-Fi capabilities (I am using a Wi-Fi connection as I write this post). Unfortunately, I had very bad luck with the network eduroam and I am only able to use uw-unsecured when I am on-campus (I was told that I should not use this network under any circumstances). I followed the instructions http://ist.uwaterloo.ca/cs/wireless.html but the "Connect" button is greyed out at the end. I went to MC 1052, but no one there was able to help me. ----------------------------------- DemonWasp Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:18 am RE:University of Waterloo Internet Connection Problem ----------------------------------- Eduroam uses a GlobalSign certificate that, for some reason, every other operating system seems to download no problem. Are you sure you copied the certificate from https://support.globalsign.com/customer/portal/articles/1217617 properly? ----------------------------------- randint Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:15 pm RE:University of Waterloo Internet Connection Problem ----------------------------------- Oh, I downloaded it properly now, and it is able to connect to eduroam. It is, however, unstable. ----------------------------------- DemonWasp Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:20 am RE:University of Waterloo Internet Connection Problem ----------------------------------- That's just UW's wireless being awful. I think the MC building's walls are specifically designed to make wifi suck, and they're unable to work around it. The wifi is a bit better in the newer buildings, but I'd still bring a network cable if you're going to class anywhere with ethernet drops (basically just MC3 1006 or whatever it is). ----------------------------------- randint Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:34 pm RE:University of Waterloo Internet Connection Problem ----------------------------------- M3 1006, QNC 1502, that is basically it. ----------------------------------- randint Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:07 pm RE:University of Waterloo Internet Connection Problem ----------------------------------- People suggested disabling IPv6, no improvement whatsoever. ----------------------------------- randint Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:03 am Re: University of Waterloo Internet Connection Problem ----------------------------------- I have acquired more information about this at the Computer Science Club. Someone told me that it is something to do with the Linux kernel people being over-compliant about driver specifications and rendered the driver useless. The only way to work around that is to go find the kernel source code, and look for the driver settings, change it to some acceptable form and re-compile, then install the new kernel on your computer. Getting the kernel is probably very easy, you can just download it somewhere. But then, knowing where the network settings are is not very easy. You are talking about millions of lines of C code--even if very organized. ----------------------------------- Abbiey Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:34 pm RE:University of Waterloo Internet Connection Problem ----------------------------------- Had the same problem, however the fix didn't work. Any other suggestions? ----------------------------------- rdrake Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:06 am Re: University of Waterloo Internet Connection Problem ----------------------------------- Not UW, but I've had much better results connecting to the campus wifi here by using [url=https://launchpad.net/wicd]Wicd rather than the default NetworkManager. Unfortunately it is no longer under active development. I did manage to get NetworkManager to cooperate with the self-signed certificate on our campus by making a change to the /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/ file. I had to change the option system-ca-certs from the default of true to false. [code]system-ca-certs=false[/code] It's still quite unstable, but at least it connects!