----------------------------------- Paul Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:17 pm [suggestion] Compsci Lottory! ----------------------------------- I have a suggestion of a compsci lottory, anyone who participates could contribute 20 bits, then a weekly number is picked, from 1 to 500? whoever comes close can win the bits, it isn't that complicated, a person can set up an account just for that purpose. ----------------------------------- shorthair Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:22 pm ----------------------------------- Hmmmmmm , mabye once a month , we wouldnt wanna distribute that much power now would we , becsue bits are power , when the n00bs get fed like 1000 bits , bad things can happen ----------------------------------- we64 Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:23 pm ----------------------------------- sure, that sounds pretty good, also we can add some gambling game on, such as horse racing. :D ----------------------------------- shorthair Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:28 pm ----------------------------------- The Bits shouldnt be overdone , it should be liek a really hard thing to get , when those emails cose 2500 bits its because that used to take a really long time to get 2 , now people abuse bits i think , hey dont mean as much , id prefer it to be be harder to get bits , that way saving takes longer and you feel more acomplished when you buy sstuff , not liek post amesage get 1000 bits and go max your name out , i dont mind givin away bits here and there , but they should be of value ----------------------------------- Paul Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:34 pm ----------------------------------- You should check TheX's post on inflation... saving is what Im doing, Im halfway of getting a name shadow... once a month sounds reasonable, if other people approve.. ----------------------------------- TheXploder Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:40 pm ----------------------------------- How about we write a program (in Turing or how about Java) that does the storing of contestants, myabe through a network connection or as a batch file storing the info and then new contestants can sign up... and who creates that storage program can sign up for free, everytime, well something like that... ----------------------------------- shorthair Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:42 pm ----------------------------------- PHPBB , or what ever the heck it is , most hte apps for compsci i belive are written in that ----------------------------------- Dan Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:17 pm ----------------------------------- PHPBB is the origale borad software, php is the languge it is made in. i could make up somting like this but i whould realy mess poleops bits around. rigth now i whont to fix some bugs and the shop tho. also i am making another hiden bits thing. i should have some time off soon so may be i will look in to it.... ----------------------------------- Paul Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:20 pm ----------------------------------- I DO wish I could learn PhP, so I could help, but there are no posts in the php tutorial section. ----------------------------------- Amailer Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:33 pm ----------------------------------- you can mess up the lottery mod don't add it! ;D its boring also lol.. you can add toplist mod :D hehe ----------------------------------- Dan Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:35 pm ----------------------------------- you can mess up the lottery mod don't add it! ;D its boring also lol.. you can add toplist mod :D hehe i was paling on making my own lottery mod if i got time, we shall see.... ----------------------------------- the_short1 Sun Feb 08, 2004 9:45 pm ----------------------------------- if this lotery happens i think 100 BITS so not everyone can get it... only people who are high rank... also limit number of Contestants to maybe 100 or so and then Divide into 10 or something so reward aint too huge...also maybe only do lotery around xmas and then also once at end of School year... (2 times yearly).... just some suggestions,.. ----------------------------------- jonos Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:04 pm ----------------------------------- i think a stock market would actually be better, with live statistics and whatnot based on real markets, but that would be too hard probably. ----------------------------------- Paul Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:08 pm ----------------------------------- It WOULD probably be too hard, now if everyone on Compsci knew PHP, that would be a snap. Maybe it could be done in the summer though. ----------------------------------- jonos Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:13 pm ----------------------------------- i would learn php, but don't you need hosting that supports it, and that costs money usually, and i think it doesn't make apps, so... ----------------------------------- Delta Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:13 pm ----------------------------------- Heck no ... screw the stock market idea.... I say... like serisouly make an online rpg ... like text...based... kewl tho... its on a couple sites.... really kewl .... well that... or I guess the lottery... or you know whats even better than that!.... nothing... saying that this is a programming site/forum.... keep it to do with programming.... wow... idea :idea: how about a hacking game (not real hacking... like simulated....) tony/dan setups folders on the forum... with files like banks... stores whatever... and we buy items (laptop, wireless networks, kewl hacker tools...) and try to steal bits or special effects... it'd be kewl ----------------------------------- jonos Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:18 pm ----------------------------------- i say nothing like what is said above. this is turning into a site almost for non-programming, that non-programmers could join and be able to interact and stuff, without knowing anything about programming. is this not a site for programming. ----------------------------------- Amailer Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:33 pm ----------------------------------- ya delta that idea is bad for this site... I say leave it as it is! ah ha! ----------------------------------- Delta Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:49 pm ----------------------------------- Well jeez man... at least I'm adding useful input here like seriously would you rather have a hacking game (could be a whole programming language thing if ppl really wanna work on it)... or would you rather have a stock market... or lottery like seriously... I'm not saying that we have too... I'm just saying that if anything add a game where ppl could have fun and learn... hence the hacking(make your own procedures that help you along.... buy manuals that show procedures) do something kewl .... but otherwise... drop the whole idea ----------------------------------- Paul Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:51 pm ----------------------------------- Hey, I think its a great idea, just don't make it too hard. And amailer, you shouldn't be so quick to put down Delta's ideas, now that he has uh.. *cough* mod *cough* powers. ----------------------------------- Maverick Mon Feb 09, 2004 3:39 pm ----------------------------------- Everyone puts in say 20 bits, because real lottary isnt expensive, and whatever the total is, is the prize. Also u only win if u get the exact number, not close to it. For say between 1-100 since not that many ppl wuld participate. If theres a tie u split the bits. ----------------------------------- shorthair Mon Feb 09, 2004 3:43 pm ----------------------------------- if 30 people put in 20 bits that = 900 bits , if you were to get that , you would have enough to make a good start on an email , also , it would defy the purpose of bits , im not sure why peopel belive they are to be thrown around and stiff , that 2500 email level , is make to take a long time to get 2 , not just a quick win , your meant to earn it and tahts what i tbelive bits are really about , ----------------------------------- Paul Mon Feb 09, 2004 3:47 pm ----------------------------------- Hey, thats why Dan made the mods' bit level max out at 1000 right? So that they can't give away large amounts of bits? So I don't think this will be an idea that he'll like very much. Unless we made the rule that the guess has to be exact, and if they arn't, they can go towards restocking the shop. I know Im going to save for a long time, I still have 2147 bits to go before I can get the email. ----------------------------------- shorthair Mon Feb 09, 2004 3:49 pm ----------------------------------- * Side note * take a lok at forwarding , you might as well get that if you get a free acount with your ISP , also about hte bits , you are right , mods were giving away lots of bits that were being passed around , also It was just getting to clogged , there shouldnt be that many in circulation , most should come from donations . ----------------------------------- Maverick Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:47 pm ----------------------------------- Ya but with an exact guess it wuld be very tough for sumone to win. And say 15 or 20 ppl enter, thats not that many bits. Also these bits arent coming out of nowhere, theyre our own, theyre alredy into circulation. No extra bits are being added, just sumone is getting more and other ppl are getting less. ----------------------------------- shorthair Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:48 pm ----------------------------------- under those circumstances i dont mind , i think it would be cool , BUT , who is smart enough to code it ----------------------------------- Maverick Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:51 pm ----------------------------------- Well really the only one is robably Dan and Amailer witha few others most likely. But probably dont have the time. ----------------------------------- the_short1 Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:41 pm ----------------------------------- i think a number between 1-100 and 50 people can enter their 20 bits.... But PRIZE is max 100 bits and only happen every 3 months. Just devide the total bits entered by 10...