----------------------------------- wtd Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:01 pm How much do you understand about organizing your code? ----------------------------------- Do you understand... Functions? Function composition? Classes? Modules/namespaces/packages? How to build a program using multiple files? ----------------------------------- Panphobia Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:41 pm RE:How much do you understand about organizing your code? ----------------------------------- So what kind of answer are you looking for? I understand functions, classes, and by function composition do you mean something like [code]f(g(x))[/code]I don't know what you mean by modules and namespaces, I do not think I completely understand packages, but I have an idea, and I think I know how to build a program using multiple files. ----------------------------------- Nathan4102 Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:54 pm RE:How much do you understand about organizing your code? ----------------------------------- I can do functions and function composition, and I can build basic programs with multiple files. I've still got a lot to learn. ----------------------------------- Insectoid Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:11 pm RE:How much do you understand about organizing your code? ----------------------------------- My code is either fairly well organized (disregarding namespaces, since my projects are never very large or intended for re-use) or a colossal mess. Both are intentional, just different objectives. ----------------------------------- mirhagk Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:28 am RE:How much do you understand about organizing your code? ----------------------------------- I love nice clean code, that exposes beautiful interfaces to the rest of the code. I have grown to care less about squeezing that last 25% of performance out, and starting caring more and more about the code looking nice, and being easy to maintain. ----------------------------------- Panphobia Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:18 am RE:How much do you understand about organizing your code? ----------------------------------- So then mirhagk do you support programming contests because they force you to get every last big of performance out of your Program, no matter how messy the code. ----------------------------------- mirhagk Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:51 am RE:How much do you understand about organizing your code? ----------------------------------- Programming contests actually don't force you to get every last bit of performance. In fact most of my best solutions involve a lot of LINQ, which has overhead. I'm not talking about not caring about performance at all, I'm talking about only caring about whether you're algorithm is O(n^2) or O(nlogn). I don't care if there is something that can speed it up 25%, because 25% is negligible (to get a 25% better computer costs very little compared to the hours spent squeezing that out). If there's something that can speed it up by a factor of 100, then obviously I'm all game, but coding nicely actually helps you gain those 100-fold performance gains, because it's easier to see what's going on, and easier to code. Coding nicely only sacrifices those 25% gains, but they aren't very useful anyways. As for contest programming, most of my solutions actually end up looking nicer than a lot of other people's real code (like code they hand in for assignments). I use a lot of higher level features like LINQ, and lambdas which keep code clean while being very quick to code in. (Last year's first qualifier I sovled in about 3 minutes using a single line of code). Yes APIs aren't as nice as I'd ideally have, because I'm pressed for time, but good code organization helps you solve problems, it doesn't hinder it. ----------------------------------- Cancer Sol Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:41 pm RE:How much do you understand about organizing your code? ----------------------------------- I still have a LONG way to go. I only know functions basically xD I'm not really sure what you mean by function composition, but since I don't even know what you mean by that, then I probably don't know what it even is :P