----------------------------------- shorthair Wed Jan 28, 2004 6:03 pm Watch your emails , here is what to look for ----------------------------------- do not open an attahment from any email enclosing this line of text " These values cannot be represented in ASCII code , they will be represented in 7-bit binary " Anything remotly like that or around that be aware you have recieved the my doom virus , this virus is aimed at SCO , becuaseof there lawsuite on IBM , the virus makes it look like harmless individuals have made denial of service attacks on the SCO website , recently tech tv was blamed for one of hte attacks , If anyone actually knows of anyting to do wit hits origin there is a 250,00 $ ( USD ) bounty for the capture of the author , please be aware , this has been an update from Shorthair and XOR company ----------------------------------- jonos Wed Jan 28, 2004 6:33 pm ----------------------------------- my parents got an email from rogers: -the virus is called w32/mydoom@mm, and disguises itself as a text file -it also has backdoor capabilities if it infects your computer some other things the email says next to shorthair's: -Mail transaction failed. Partial message is available -the message contains Unicode characters and has been sent as a binary attachment oh ya: if your notepad pops up and displays random characters your pretty screwed that's what rogers sent us... :D ----------------------------------- recneps Wed Jan 28, 2004 6:49 pm ----------------------------------- Haha, so thats why Norton Antivirus was flashing at me "UPDATE ME NOW !" ----------------------------------- Maverick Wed Jan 28, 2004 6:51 pm ----------------------------------- $250,000? jeez i better get my hack on to find out who it is. NOw to learn how to hack. ----------------------------------- jonos Wed Jan 28, 2004 6:54 pm ----------------------------------- yeah, my norton just updated last night. Would hacker dan be capable of this, im not asking if he did it, just if he is capable of this. ----------------------------------- shorthair Wed Jan 28, 2004 6:57 pm ----------------------------------- Hope this saves someone from getting the virus , Most ISP have blocked the actual attachment and just allowed to email to pass through , that what rogers did ( im on rogers ) ive got the emai l2 times , but yeah the big denial of service attack is set to happen on february first, ----------------------------------- Maverick Wed Jan 28, 2004 6:57 pm ----------------------------------- hes capable of anything, hes probly sitting at his computer thinking who should I hack next muahahhahahaha ----------------------------------- jonos Wed Jan 28, 2004 6:58 pm ----------------------------------- that's why people shouldn't piss him off of these boards, cause he logs ip and stuff (i think) ----------------------------------- Paul Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:03 pm ----------------------------------- Whats the deal with the emails? I didn't get any, how does the virus decide who to send it to? maybe its because I didn't use my email to sign-up for alot of stuff. ----------------------------------- shorthair Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:05 pm ----------------------------------- dont matter , i jsut got this compsc adders 2 weeks ago , and i got it 2 times ,it goes through address lists so it really will never end , go to the norton site it says tha it infects 8000 systems every minute , thats insane ----------------------------------- Paul Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:10 pm ----------------------------------- That is insane... 8000 suckers per minute... ----------------------------------- jonos Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:15 pm ----------------------------------- my mom will probably get it (im not in her address book though so that 's good) cause my aunts will open anything, probably even if it says "malicious file, please download". no offence meant against their intelligence. ----------------------------------- Dan Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:18 pm ----------------------------------- compsci.ca mail has goten alot of e-mails from the viurs. has been slwoing down the e-mail here a bit. alougth i do think it is funny who it is trageting with the DOS. also there is now a new veratent of the virus out, new DOS traget. it is going affter M$ now aswell :P ----------------------------------- Mazer Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:44 pm ----------------------------------- This is why address books are stupid. You'd think that after the first couple of times viruses started sending themselves to everyone in your address book people would be smart enough to not put people in their address book! But I guess if said people are stupid enough to open an email and download a suspicious attachment, they probably aren't thinking of what'll happen to the people in their address book. ----------------------------------- Maverick Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:13 pm ----------------------------------- How bout we boycott address books and then burn them. ----------------------------------- jonos Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:14 pm ----------------------------------- i tried to delete my mom's but she told me to bugger off. i tried, i tried. ----------------------------------- shorthair Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:17 pm ----------------------------------- May the Force Be with you my son , even though you have failed you have truly suceeded in your actions ----------------------------------- jonos Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:18 pm ----------------------------------- i will go out a hero of the people, my martyred body will be raised towards the heaven, while all around me crumbles because of the restrictions imposed on me by my mother. ----------------------------------- Paul Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:19 pm ----------------------------------- Do or do not. There is no try. -Yoda ----------------------------------- shorthair Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:22 pm ----------------------------------- You do not fail if you fall down , you fail if you do not get back up again == random quoate passed on by mother ----------------------------------- jonos Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:22 pm ----------------------------------- well, me being dead, i could not get up again, so therefore.... i didn't fail. yes! ----------------------------------- Paul Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:23 pm ----------------------------------- we should really move this to the spam section but: You failed at Life! ----------------------------------- Maverick Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:31 pm ----------------------------------- and i shall raise your body to the heavens among the gods ----------------------------------- jonos Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:32 pm ----------------------------------- yeah, see with martyrs, special things happen. after you lift me into the heavens at the altars of the gods, i will put in a good word for you. :wink: ----------------------------------- Maverick Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:03 pm ----------------------------------- Hey thanx man I'll throw u a :pray: once in a while. ----------------------------------- shorthair Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:04 pm ----------------------------------- This is crazy how my thread goes from virus protection , to martyrs of heaven :? ----------------------------------- Maverick Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:09 pm ----------------------------------- Ya every thread is seeming to go off course. Probably because of me ionos and paulbian but you know. stuff. ----------------------------------- Paul Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:11 pm ----------------------------------- I agree, so ahem, back to virus protection, use anti virus programs, I used the Dan reccommended AVG anti virus software, and it worked, but it tasted bad.. um, use it. ----------------------------------- jonos Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:11 pm ----------------------------------- i was just thinking about that. though it doesn't matter to me cause im in heaven. ----------------------------------- shorthair Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:15 pm ----------------------------------- I used Norton , then i switched to AVG , dans recomendation ,seems to do the trick for me ----------------------------------- Maverick Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:16 pm ----------------------------------- Oh so when you were in heaven jesus said you got owned? ----------------------------------- Paul Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:17 pm ----------------------------------- Must... Resist... Evil pull of Maverick and jonos to go off topic.... ----------------------------------- shorthair Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:18 pm ----------------------------------- Maverick * Shorthair slaps maveric kwith unusually large fish * stay on topic , id just likethis to be a good place to find antivirus help , lets either continue in spam , or cut it off , ( not trying to be men , i would jsut rather keep this one clean , thats if everyone dosnet mind ) i know i contributed to the message s myself ,but i jsut wanna keep her clean ----------------------------------- Maverick Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:20 pm ----------------------------------- So whos the user name that sends the email or will it be sumone u know? ----------------------------------- shorthair Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:22 pm ----------------------------------- Aparrently its pretty random , so you should be able to tell its a viral email , and also your safe if you dont touch the attachment , as i said most isps filter it , one of mine was actually from a guy i knew though , he may of been on an adress list of someone elses , im looking into hte adress right now to see how it is named ----------------------------------- Maverick Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:24 pm ----------------------------------- I dunno I hardly use e-mail so im not that worried. ----------------------------------- jonos Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:28 pm ----------------------------------- NO...... off topic ends... also, don't get lulled into a false sense of security just because ISPs are filtering it out... rogers says that you should scan all attachments, even ones your friends send you that you know of. For rogers users and other people too: rogers.home.com/help/content/how/surf_safe though you all should be ok and this really isn't necessary (that link). ----------------------------------- Dan Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:53 pm ----------------------------------- realy u should not open any attment that u dont know the file type of and even if u do it is posable to mess with file types like .bmp to look like .bmp files when they are realy an excutable. so bascily only open actments if u realy have to and trun off html e-mails thous can be evil to. ----------------------------------- TheXploder Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:59 pm ----------------------------------- but if you have Outlook Express, then Viruses can execute without you even opening the attachment... They should make more protections... ----------------------------------- Paul Thu Jan 29, 2004 2:07 pm ----------------------------------- I use to use outlook, the emails just auto open, once I delete the first one, it moves to the second one, it makes deleting inappropriate material hard... ----------------------------------- jonos Thu Jan 29, 2004 2:52 pm ----------------------------------- outlook i find is just stupid too. i tried to use it for my hotmail accounts but it's really buggy, and how it opens the emails automatically is really annoying ----------------------------------- Dan Thu Jan 29, 2004 4:45 pm ----------------------------------- i just like using webbased e-mail, u can check it from anywhere (ushelay) and it dose not crash (well it dose kind of if ur browers dose). ----------------------------------- shorthair Thu Jan 29, 2004 5:01 pm ----------------------------------- I quite like my outlook im getting used to is , with my new compsci adders anyway , but i have no problem with webase d , you can check your rogres email anywhere , by using ther web mail service for when your not at home ----------------------------------- shorthair Sun Feb 01, 2004 6:40 pm ----------------------------------- the attacks began this morning at 12:01 , they were aimed and windows/update.com and sco.com , apparently , sco brought down their own website , instead of leeting the virus do it , this will save them some bandwidth and also keep their servers from giving out , microsoft diverted the attack , by taking their domain off hte internet yellowpages , it now goes through another link