----------------------------------- adamniazi Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:35 pm Degree in Computer Science or Diploma in Computers and technology ----------------------------------- Hi I was hoping someone on here could help me with a decision I am trying to make. I was a student at York University trying to get into the computer science program but have been required to withdraw from school due to poor marks. I spent the last 2 and a half years in school unsure of what I wanted to do and bounced around from Finance to IT and in the course of taking some IT courses, realized computer science was the right choice for me. But since I have been asked to withdraw I have been considering other options, such as getting a diploma from a college or going to a different university with a better computer science program. Either way, I would like to do co-op. The two programs I am considering are listed below with a link to the program description; Computer Systems Technology - Software Development and Network Engineering Co-op http://www.sheridancollege.ca/Programs%20and%20Courses/Full-Time%20Programs/Programs%20A-Z%20Index/Computer%20Systems%20Technology%20-%20Software%20Development%20and%20Network%20Engineering%20Co-op.aspx Computer Systems Technology Program http://www.georgebrown.ca/T147-2012-2013/ Both of these are diploma programs and are starting in coming January. What I am trying to figure out is how much do employers favour a degree over a diploma, if at all. I know the second one is completely networking where as the first teaches some programming and computer science. I have been trying to get details on job placement rates for these two programs but have not been able to find anything other than what is claimed by the colleges. If employers are more inclined to favour degree holders over diploma holders, most likely I would prefer to go to Ryerson University's co-op program. If there is anyone in the industry who could comment on this to help me out or if there are any employers who are in the forum, please give me some feed back as I do not want to waste anymore time with my studies and would like to make the correct decision as soon as possible. Thanks ----------------------------------- Tony Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:09 pm RE:Degree in Computer Science or Diploma in Computers and technology ----------------------------------- If you read the actual job postings, then you'd typically see something like: Engineering~like positions: "Required: Bachelor's degree in computer science, computer engineering or related technical discipline. Preferred: Graduate degree." Related positions: "Bachelor's in Computer Science or equivalent experience 2-5 years industry experience" Where related positions would be something like: Test Automation, Support Engineer, Operations, etc. Although some would argue that University is not for everyone, and after "2~5 years of industry experience"* it kind of starts to matter a lot less. Job interviews test your technical skills. From experience, a degree simply makes it easier to land that interview (but from then on, you're on your own). Though regardless of your technical skill, a degree is a requirement to get a job in a foreign country -- it's more a matter of getting a visa than a job (here a degree definitely helps). * the trick, of course, is getting that first job. Co-op (should you be successful in finding internship employment) is a way to grind out a year+ of valuable experience before graduating. ----------------------------------- mirhagk Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:11 am RE:Degree in Computer Science or Diploma in Computers and technology ----------------------------------- Yeah most positions do still have the requirement of a degree even though the most financially successful computer guy in the world dropped out of college to start his own company.