----------------------------------- Skizzarz Wed Jan 21, 2004 7:50 pm Is ANYONE gonna post here? ----------------------------------- man its been a week since theres been a single vb help post, is every one pro or smthn? ----------------------------------- Tony Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:53 pm ----------------------------------- haha :lol: yeah :wink: actually I think its just me and homer here :? Reason being there're other much larger VB forums out there :roll: compsci.ca is still relativly new ----------------------------------- Homer_simpson Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:12 pm ----------------------------------- hehe yeah... and there's only been 2 programs posted other than mine... ----------------------------------- McKenzie Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:19 pm ----------------------------------- I think it has to do with the curriculum taught in the province. I know that I teach VB at the gr10 level. The vast majority of them are not looking to go "above and beyond" they are happy if their programs work. I know that a lot of schools don't even touch VB. ----------------------------------- Thuged_Out_G Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:54 pm ----------------------------------- my school has the whole microsoft visual studio on ALL their computers...yet they teach turing, to everyone....although they may teach java next year, although i highly doubt it ----------------------------------- shorthair Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:19 pm ----------------------------------- Grade 10 = Logic and Turing Grade 11 = Advanced Turing , Binary writing Grade 12 = Java ----------------------------------- santabruzer Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:27 pm ----------------------------------- while we are on the topic.. is there anything important taught in the gr11 course that is needed for the gr12.. i'm thinking of skipping to java :? ----------------------------------- shorthair Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:27 pm ----------------------------------- WEll java is really different , and if your willing to jsut learn some at home or teach yourself , you should be fine , most people who take grade 12 do really well , there to ones who actually were good at 10 & 11 , it will be no walk in the park , but if you lok carefully your school would probably pay for you to take your sun certification at hte end of the corse , its suposedly one of the hardest certifications to get but once you have it , it would look awsome on any resume ----------------------------------- apomb Thu Jan 22, 2004 5:33 pm ----------------------------------- im in gr eleven and i am just finishing a java course in which i have done well. last year we did turing and i found that the ppl who were taught turing last yesr did better in java than those who didnt take turing -in gr 12 visual C++ personally, i am interested in vb and that is one reason im posting... ----------------------------------- santabruzer Thu Jan 22, 2004 6:29 pm ----------------------------------- my teacher just said that i'm way ahead of the class and that it'll take some time, but i could easily manage it. i'm just trying to see if i should go for it or not.. ----------------------------------- Tony Thu Jan 22, 2004 6:59 pm ----------------------------------- don't even think of skipping java, since it's THE language 8) I think all first year CS uni courses are in Java :think: ----------------------------------- Homer_simpson Fri Jan 23, 2004 1:26 am ----------------------------------- man... i hate java! i wish they'd teach c++ in 12 :( ----------------------------------- McKenzie Fri Jan 23, 2004 8:44 am ----------------------------------- As this VB topic evolves into a VC++ vs Java debate perhaps this is a good place to bounce my ideas off people. I've been teaching C in gr12 and C++ in OAC for years. With the loss of OAC I've dropped the ANSI-C and went straight to C++. As Tony points out Java is used in quite a few Universities and it is gaining support in the workplace. I'm planning on teaching Java next year for gr12. Homer - why do you hate Java? Tony - why do you love it? ----------------------------------- shorthair Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:06 am ----------------------------------- I have no problem learning java next year , what rocks is my school pays for any first try of certification , i get a shot at the A+ next year at the end of grade 12 engineering , I thnk java is pretty useful , but im not sure if il keep it up well it really depends what the university of ontario will teaches ( Where i would like to go ) , i think that they Do C++ , ohh and on ht er site the do Java aswell, so really both of those languages are useful ----------------------------------- shorthair Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:07 am ----------------------------------- Someone should move this to general discussion and change the name to something else , so people can see what they will belearing in the future and what its like , ----------------------------------- Tony Fri Jan 23, 2004 3:04 pm ----------------------------------- McKenzie - as you probably know I've used quite a number of languages and I still think that Java is the best overall language, or atleast is my language of choice. Reasons being - portability (from web applets to LEGO microchips to toaster) - library sizes (there's just soo much that's already there) probably most important - fully class based structure :D Everything is a class, everything has methods and heck, I can extend existing classes to add my own methods :D Yeah, I know that you can use classes in other languages as well... but they're not fully class based. ----------------------------------- Homer_simpson Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:03 am ----------------------------------- As this VB topic evolves into a VC++ vs Java debate perhaps this is a good place to bounce my ideas off people. I've been teaching C in gr12 and C++ in OAC for years. With the loss of OAC I've dropped the ANSI-C and went straight to C++. As Tony points out Java is used in quite a few Universities and it is gaining support in the workplace. I'm planning on teaching Java next year for gr12. Homer - why do you hate Java? Tony - why do you love it? i dont hate java... it's actually quiete a useful program... but it's not meant for the programs i like to make... ----------------------------------- McKenzie Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:20 am ----------------------------------- man... i hate java! i wish they'd teach c++ in 12 :( sorry Homer, I must have ... er... misunderstood :wink:. I know what you mean, respect it but hate learning it instead of C++. ----------------------------------- Andy Sat Jan 24, 2004 12:37 pm ----------------------------------- McKenzie is teaching java nxt yr... i'm gonna take 12 compsci again and drop it so i can go to his classes sometimes ----------------------------------- rizzix Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:05 pm ----------------------------------- u know actually doing well in java all depends on how well u've picked up the OOP philosophy. If u come from a procedure oriented programming background then getting used to java is tricky. if u come from a structed programming background (structs) then its sortof easier to get used to. yet some of these folks really mess up in OOP. (they can't get used to the idea that a class is not really a struct but a template for an object, and i;ve noticed a lot of programmers here in compsci.ca make this mistake. may i suggest: think of this world as objects interacting with one another, and also objects have properties and objects have actions! that could help) if ur new to programming, java's a breeze. :lol: but then again ur mark in school really depends on ur teacher (i've noticed that they themselves are qute confused when it comes to OOP :lol:) ----------------------------------- Maverick Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:20 pm ----------------------------------- Ya I've just started to learn Java. Doesn't seem that bad. ----------------------------------- Tony Sat Jan 24, 2004 2:58 pm ----------------------------------- as rizzix nicely pointed out - the trick with java is it's OOP consept of programming approach. Think of java as a tool to model your own environments with objects (classes) that have various properties (methods) that interect with one another. Then in driver (void main) you set up some kind of push to make those objects start interacting to solve your problem ----------------------------------- Maverick Sat Jan 24, 2004 3:31 pm ----------------------------------- Oh I get it. Thanx