----------------------------------- Dauntless Tue Dec 09, 2003 10:35 pm Sharing Legitimate Video Files without P2P ----------------------------------- Hey, as some of you may know, I made a claymation video for a physics project. Since I didn't show it in class with everyone else, I thought I'd try to put it up on the internet so i wouldn't need to p2p transfer it to everyone who wanted it through MSN or something. I've searched free webhosting and free file storage site, they are all garbage as far as I'm concerned. The max. file size for all of the free webhosting sites is 5 mb (my vid. is 5.6, and I will make bigger videos in the future) and most video file extensions are not allowed on most file storage sites because of copyright infringement issues. Any ideas? ----------------------------------- Andy Tue Dec 09, 2003 10:43 pm ----------------------------------- www.freewebs.com offers 100mb... http://www.lycos.co.uk/ offers 50mb ----------------------------------- Dauntless Tue Dec 09, 2003 10:45 pm You lie ----------------------------------- I'm not talking the file storage capacity, I'm talking about the biggest individual file you are allowed to have in your space, which is 5mb for most sites. Looks like you just googled these results without researching the first one at least. ----------------------------------- Andy Tue Dec 09, 2003 10:48 pm ----------------------------------- u sure freewebs doesnt work? ----------------------------------- Dauntless Tue Dec 09, 2003 10:49 pm ----------------------------------- Haven't signed up yet, but it says that you start with 40mb, not 100 like you said. Besides, it doesn't say the max. file size either, so I'll have to wait til I sign up to see. Gotta study for physics right now ;) ----------------------------------- Dan Wed Dec 10, 2003 12:18 pm ----------------------------------- how big is the file you need to upload? i am wroking on some crapy servers and i whould host it there for you if i ever get them up. ----------------------------------- Mazer Wed Dec 10, 2003 12:57 pm ----------------------------------- couldn't you just put it in a zip file with max compression? ----------------------------------- Dauntless Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:59 pm Thanks for the support ----------------------------------- Hey, thanks for the support Dan. You crazy admin. But a well-known celebrity in the compsci.ca community helped me with my problem; a little something calld JSplit that splits files into custom increments. That celebrity is not Asok/Martin, but Mr. Mickey himself. But thanks for the offer, Dan. I posted it on two different Geocities accounts of mine (I currently have 4 :all: ) P.S. I don't think WinZip can compress .avi files very well. I got like 5% compression with WinRAR, and slightly better with WinZip. Turns out WinZip has its own splitting utility too, but JSplit is easier..it tells you how many partitions it makes. Oh yeah, don't forget about the getDauntlessbits.foundation either...