----------------------------------- Paul Sat Dec 06, 2003 12:00 pm standalone program ---> source code ----------------------------------- is there anyway to turn a turing standalone program back to a source file? ----------------------------------- Andy Sat Dec 06, 2003 1:11 pm ----------------------------------- nope ----------------------------------- Tony Sat Dec 06, 2003 3:29 pm ----------------------------------- ahahaha :lol: man, you're soo funny :lol: ----------------------------------- Andy Sat Dec 06, 2003 4:41 pm ----------------------------------- if there was, i'd never do any compsci hw ----------------------------------- FDisk87 Sat Dec 06, 2003 4:42 pm ----------------------------------- It would actually be quite nice if someone wrote that, but if they did it would likely decompile to the intermediate C++ code. It still would be nice to see what is under the hood. Too bad as of yet, I know of no such turing decompiler. ----------------------------------- Andy Sat Dec 06, 2003 4:44 pm ----------------------------------- you'd have to know alot of assembly if you wanted to do that ----------------------------------- FDisk87 Sat Dec 06, 2003 4:56 pm ----------------------------------- yeah one would need mad skills at ASM, to be able to do that, and be a C++ guru. It still would be a nice project to see some of the more experienced coders to attempt. ----------------------------------- Tony Sat Dec 06, 2003 5:10 pm ----------------------------------- well as far as I know, reverse engineering is illigal. And even if it wasn't (yeah, right :roll:), such program would seriously mess up multiplayer gaming since every game will be open-sourced :lol: Dan deals 1.0 e65536 damage! Tony's shield blocks the attack and shatters Dan's sword! oh yeah, all the numbers will rise up, higher then 1,000,000 HP craziness from FF VII :lol: ----------------------------------- FDisk87 Sat Dec 06, 2003 5:27 pm ----------------------------------- I don't believe reverse engineering of your own works is illegal, for example if you compiled an application to an executable and one day found yourself without the source code, lets say your comp dies. Reverse engineering could also be used educationally even looking under the hood of commerical or freeware software. I have decompiled java applets that were of interest to me when learning Java. As for MMORPG that would really be funny if people reverse engineered them, but I don't think reverse engineering would be enough to do that, you would need to hack your way into the game servers and edit your character stored on the server (s). Whatever the original posters intentions may have been, a decompiler would be a welcome addition to the turing community in my opinion. ----------------------------------- roer Sat Dec 06, 2003 7:04 pm ----------------------------------- You could view it in hex, but the code would be very jumbeled even then. You'd need to have a couple years of Assembly practice :wink: ----------------------------------- Tony Sat Dec 06, 2003 8:29 pm ----------------------------------- I don't think reverse engineering would be enough to pff :roll: the way multiplayer games are hacked now, is that a 3rd party program intersepts packets send/recieved and modifies them before they go on to the server/client. Reverse engineering will allow such 3rd party program to access variables directly and one would not have to experiment with different packet values, trying to decode their encription. ----------------------------------- Dan Sun Dec 07, 2003 1:33 am ----------------------------------- it is posable to do but the problem is alot of the code is chaged for good once it is complied. so at best you whould have somting like the origale but not realy the same. it whould be easer to just run the progame, see what it outputs and try to make somting like it. ----------------------------------- Homer_simpson Sun Dec 07, 2003 2:26 am ----------------------------------- Yer having hard time with yer homework,huh? :lol: ----------------------------------- Tony Sun Dec 07, 2003 3:19 am ----------------------------------- Yer having hard time with yer homework,huh? wouldn't it be funny to see someone hand in something like Half-Life 2 as their ISP/ISU :lol: Actually it is possible, seeing as their had a sourcecode leak a while back :think: ----------------------------------- Andy Sun Dec 07, 2003 7:44 pm ----------------------------------- man... if only.. but putting comments in would be a pain in the butt