----------------------------------- santabruzer Thu Nov 27, 2003 8:18 am Pi ----------------------------------- Is it possible to write a pi program in turing, that will determine the value of pi to infinte decimals.... always wondered... ----------------------------------- Andy Thu Nov 27, 2003 11:50 am ----------------------------------- not infinite... turing has limits, very small limits, and it'll crash at a couple of decimal places... but you can find pi using turing using the trig functions.. i think ----------------------------------- Tony Thu Nov 27, 2003 12:13 pm ----------------------------------- :? Anyways, you can calculate pi using the chaos theory. I dont remember it exactly, but it involved the addition of random numbers. You might be surpriced, but thats actually how pi is calculated :lol: ----------------------------------- Dan Thu Nov 27, 2003 4:05 pm ----------------------------------- this page is all about caluacting pi: http://www.mcs.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/R.Knott/Fibonacci/fibpi.html looks long tho, good look reading it all with out falling asleep :P ----------------------------------- santabruzer Thu Nov 27, 2003 6:18 pm ----------------------------------- hmm.. i dunnu i found some forumlas.. on google.. That page has that arctan forumula.. wonder if you can do that on turing ----------------------------------- santabruzer Thu Nov 27, 2003 6:21 pm ----------------------------------- put 4*(arctan (1)) : 1: 48 Wonder what will happen if i export it to a file.. hmmm Ha.. the max output for a number is 50 digits in turing.. hardly enough ----------------------------------- Mazer Thu Nov 27, 2003 6:53 pm ----------------------------------- not much. you're trying to assign a real value to an integer, so turing isn't going to do anything but give you an error telling you so. and even if it did (ie, you change the int to a real), the result only has 6 decimal places (3.141593) ----------------------------------- santabruzer Thu Nov 27, 2003 6:54 pm ----------------------------------- not anymore :D .. sorry edited the previous post! ----------------------------------- Mazer Thu Nov 27, 2003 7:10 pm ----------------------------------- well la-de-da