----------------------------------- btiffin Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:49 pm When did retarded become offensive? ----------------------------------- So, I'm rebuilding a tune collection ... In HMV today I couldn't remember Elephunk so I was asking for Black Eyed Peas, "Let's Get Retarded". Why in the hell does a song like that have to be re-lyric'ed to "Let's Get It Started"? Retarded is a scientific term that replaced the older pejoratives idiot, dolt and moron. Are people retarded? Edit; And now just havin' some fun, rockin' out and then on wikipedia I find out another lyric change ... "Overseas we tryin' to stop terrorism, but we still got terrorists here livin', in the U.S.A., the big CIA, the Bloods and the Crips and the KKK...". However, this line was altered to not include the CIA, the Ku Klux Klan and the gangs mentioned when the song was performed at President Obama's inauguration some advice from an old guy; try and not let your neighbour's (or political or business partner's) sensitive little ears change your view and expressions of Truth just to satisfy the need to not face the hard problems, head on and with gusto. Are people retarded? ;) Cheers ----------------------------------- A.J Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:29 pm RE:When did retarded become offensive? ----------------------------------- You keep calling yourself old. How old are you? (Sorry for being blunt, but just wondering). And I always thought the lyrics were "Let's get it started in here"... ----------------------------------- btiffin Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:33 pm Re: When did retarded become offensive? ----------------------------------- 47. A little bit retarded and proud of it. And 6 days without a smoke; might make me a bit of an asshole for another week or so as I cold turkey my way out of a habit I started when I was 7. Cheers ----------------------------------- A.J Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:51 pm RE:When did retarded become offensive? ----------------------------------- whoa...that is 2.(7647058823529411) times my age! ----------------------------------- ecookman Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:24 pm Re: When did retarded become offensive? ----------------------------------- 47. A little bit retarded and proud of it. And 6 days without a smoke; might make me a bit of an asshole for another week or so as I cold turkey my way out of a habit I started when I was 7. Cheers you started smoking when you were 7 ?!??!?!?!!? WHHHAAA...and I have often dwelled on this too. ----------------------------------- Dan Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:48 pm Re: When did retarded become offensive? ----------------------------------- When did retarded become offensive? When peoleop started using it as an insault rather then it's scientific meaning. When it's used that way it becomes offensive to peoleop who aucataly are retarded. Sadly this is also true for other words too, like "dumb" witch is used as an insault when it realy refures to people who are mute. Now dispite being offensive, i still don't think it should be censored at all. I am pro free speach and would rather peoleop being offensive then not being free. I think alot of peoleop simply just don't understand implications of the words they use as insults or don't acuataly understand most disblites they are based on. I also dislike it when poeleop using slang words that question others sexulaity as insults as it encorages homophobia or at the very least implies that there is somthing negtive in being anything but heterosexual. But again i would not censore it in any way, rather the awnser is education and getting ride of the fear of what is diffrent and the ignorence that leads to such prejudgists. P.S. "idiot" and "moron" are both terms for disblites (or at least where at one time) witch had spefic and some what scientific meaning. For example idoit is "having a mental age below three years and generally being unable to learn connected speech or guard against common dangers". Sadly like retarded there meanings have be curpted to been insaults and prejudgist. I should also point out that the very use of the word "retarded" in your posts above as a negtive and some what insulting term is helping to make it prejudgists too. ----------------------------------- Tony Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:05 pm RE:When did retarded become offensive? ----------------------------------- _any_ word can be "offensive" when put in context as such, or chosen to be interpreted out of context. Meep. ----------------------------------- btiffin Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:13 am Re: When did retarded become offensive? ----------------------------------- I should also point out that the very use of the word "retarded" in your posts above as a negtive and some what insulting term is helping to make it prejudgists too. Ahh, you caught that did you. ;) Cheers ----------------------------------- apomb Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:43 am RE:When did retarded become offensive? ----------------------------------- This song (and another one of theirs, i forget which one... maybe the one that says dont funk with my heart or whatever) had to be censored when radio-version'd. This says to me that either a) people who edit are prudes, or b) the black eyed peas have no integrity when making music, and will flop to softer lyrics when the radio stations say jump. ----------------------------------- ecookman Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:19 pm Re: When did retarded become offensive? ----------------------------------- When did retarded become offensive? When peoleop started using it as an insault rather then it's scientific meaning. When it's used that way it becomes offensive to peoleop who aucataly are retarded. Sadly this is also true for other words too, like "dumb" witch is used as an insault when it realy refures to people who are mute. Now dispite being offensive, i still don't think it should be censored at all. I am pro free speach and would rather peoleop being offensive then not being free. I think alot of peoleop simply just don't understand implications of the words they use as insults or don't acuataly understand most disblites they are based on. I also dislike it when poeleop using slang words that question others sexulaity as insults as it encorages homophobia or at the very least implies that there is somthing negtive in being anything but heterosexual. But again i would not censore it in any way, rather the awnser is education and getting ride of the fear of what is diffrent and the ignorence that leads to such prejudgists. P.S. "idiot" and "moron" are both terms for disblites (or at least where at one time) witch had spefic and some what scientific meaning. For example idoit is "having a mental age below three years and generally being unable to learn connected speech or guard against common dangers". Sadly like retarded there meanings have be curpted to been insaults and prejudgist. I should also point out that the very use of the word "retarded" in your posts above as a negtive and some what insulting term is helping to make it prejudgists too. fascinating, thanks for the info i can now "insult" people with no fear!!