----------------------------------- saltpro15 Mon May 04, 2009 5:39 pm first SDL game ----------------------------------- Hey guys, I've been learning graphics in C++ with SDL, I made pong for my first game (original, I know) and it sucks, so please give me some constructive criticism. I decided to make the physics so it would bounce the ball back at a semi-random speed, I think it makes it a little more exciting than the usual back-forth of pong. controls are w and s for the left paddle, up and down arrows for the right paddle space resets the ball r key launches the ball linux only at the moment I'm adding fonts for the score, the update will be posted soon ----------------------------------- zero-impact Mon May 04, 2009 8:40 pm RE:first SDL game ----------------------------------- Is there any chance you could post the source? ----------------------------------- saltpro15 Tue May 05, 2009 2:38 pm RE:first SDL game ----------------------------------- I'd rather not actually... I'm just basically testing to see if anyone found glitches while running it. and you've already seen the source ;) ----------------------------------- zero-impact Tue May 05, 2009 3:07 pm RE:first SDL game ----------------------------------- No, I saw the old source that didn't even work. ----------------------------------- saltpro15 Tue May 05, 2009 3:08 pm RE:first SDL game ----------------------------------- oh right, can I PM it to you? I still don't want to post it ----------------------------------- zero-impact Tue May 05, 2009 3:38 pm RE:first SDL game ----------------------------------- Just post it. I wont laugh. ----------------------------------- Homer_simpson Wed May 06, 2009 9:54 am Re: first SDL game ----------------------------------- i cant find the executable file... ----------------------------------- zero-impact Wed May 06, 2009 2:02 pm RE:first SDL game ----------------------------------- It's a linux executeable. ----------------------------------- Homer_simpson Wed May 06, 2009 8:08 pm Re: first SDL game ----------------------------------- oh... at the risk of sounding absolutely newbish, is there such thing as linux emulator or something of sort? ----------------------------------- zero-impact Thu May 07, 2009 8:29 pm RE:first SDL game ----------------------------------- Yes, but I think if you really want to try it that bad, I would just boot up and ubuntu live session. ----------------------------------- saltpro15 Wed May 27, 2009 12:25 pm Re: first SDL game ----------------------------------- got around to setting up SDL on Dev-C++ today, here's the windows version if anyone's interested. Keep in mind, this was my first SDL game, everyone's got to start somewhere :p ----------------------------------- Al_ Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:20 am RE:first SDL game ----------------------------------- very nice : ) a point system would have been nice but thats for a later time. I have but one question: why is the ball a box : P Other than that very good job! :) ----------------------------------- Silinter Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:01 pm RE:first SDL game ----------------------------------- Great stuff, ball's not moving, even when I compile it. Seems like you followed Lazy Foo's tutorials :D (they're good tutorials) More importantly, where'd you get your avatar pic? It would look damn cool as my wallpaper. ----------------------------------- andrew. Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:17 pm Re: first SDL game ----------------------------------- got around to setting up SDL on Dev-C++ today, here's the windows version if anyone's interested. Keep in mind, this was my first SDL game, everyone's got to start somewhere :pWhat about the Mac version? :( jk. You should post the source though because I don't have Linux installed and I don't want to boot up with Windows. Plus, I'd rather see your code and learn from it because I'd like to learn how to use SDL. ----------------------------------- saltpro15 Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:53 pm RE:first SDL game ----------------------------------- my bad guys, haven't been on the forum in a bit. 1.) The ball is a box because I have no idea, it was the easiest shape to make in 5 seconds in Paint :D. 2.) I don't know why it doesn't work, this game is crap so that's your problem most likely. My avatar can be found by google imaging fractal art wallpaper, and it's on the first page and of course is also my wallpaper :p. 3.) Sorry andrew, I don't even have the source anymore :( lazyfoo.net has some great SDL tutorials though! ----------------------------------- andrew. Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:23 pm Re: RE:first SDL game ----------------------------------- 2.) I don't know why it doesn't work, this game is crap so that's your problem most likely. My avatar can be found by google imaging fractal art wallpaper, and it's on the first page and of course is also my wallpaper :p. 3.) Sorry andrew, I don't even have the source anymore :( lazyfoo.net has some great SDL tutorials though! @2: Your avatar/wallpaper is also available on [url=http://interfacelift.com/wallpaper_beta/details/1912/shore_of_the_fractal_sea.html]InterfaceLift in a variety of resolutions. @3: That's okay, I was just joking. And thanks for the SDL tutorial website. ----------------------------------- saltpro15 Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:58 pm RE:first SDL game ----------------------------------- No problem! Good luck, SDL is the first step to major game development :) ----------------------------------- andrew. Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:20 pm RE:first SDL game ----------------------------------- Haha yeah. This is a bit off-topic, but I've been playing around with pygame recently, does that use some sort of wrapper for SDL or do I have it totally wrong? ----------------------------------- saltpro15 Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:59 pm RE:first SDL game ----------------------------------- I believe so. There's also a Ruby wrapper for SDL if I'm not mistaken :D