----------------------------------- Amailer Sat Oct 11, 2003 6:50 pm replace help ----------------------------------- Ok, Suppose i got a text like this ^1WELCOEM ^7IDIOT ^1 = Font color FF0000 ^7 = Font color FFFFFF I want the text to be displayed witht he colors (if you view source, it should be) WELCOME IDIOT if you don't understand ill try and explain again.... HELP! ----------------------------------- Tony Sat Oct 11, 2003 6:55 pm ----------------------------------- substrings! output everything before the first ^ character. Read the int after ^ that determines the color and output appropriate HTML tag. Cut w/e your outputed out and repeat the loop untill the whole string is processed. ----------------------------------- Amailer Sun Oct 12, 2003 12:18 am ----------------------------------- hmm still in need of help! ----------------------------------- Blade Sun Oct 12, 2003 2:43 pm ----------------------------------- why dont you just use functions?? ----------------------------------- Amailer Sun Oct 12, 2003 4:21 pm ----------------------------------- its cuz he way the thing is set up :( ----------------------------------- PaddyLong Mon Oct 13, 2003 11:13 am ----------------------------------- use something like this... $text = "^1WELCOEM ^7IDIOT"; $text = ereg_replace ("\^1", "", $text); $text = ereg_replace ("\^7", "", $text); echo $text; you need the \ in front of the ^ because ^ is a special character in the regular expression syntax ----------------------------------- Amailer Mon Oct 13, 2003 4:12 pm ----------------------------------- Odd, i tried that...it did not wrk idk why!!! works if i only have one, ^# Not if there are more then 1 :( ----------------------------------- Amailer Mon Oct 13, 2003 5:03 pm ----------------------------------- NEVER MIND! ya, i got it...it was a problem in my code..my other charaters ^7 and all were messed :S