----------------------------------- Homer_simpson Tue Aug 26, 2003 1:22 am apache: 404 error message... ----------------------------------- need to modify it...i know it's located in one of the files... which one is it? ----------------------------------- octopi Tue Aug 26, 2003 2:43 am ----------------------------------- .htaccess file add: ErrorDocument 404 /pathto.php You really should look for anwsers yourself first. ----------------------------------- Homer_simpson Tue Aug 26, 2003 2:49 am ----------------------------------- well actually i did look for it my self and this is what i found #ErrorDocument 404 /missing.html i kept changing it but it made no difference... :? I even "googled" it ----------------------------------- octopi Tue Aug 26, 2003 2:54 am ----------------------------------- ....um.... ....have you tried removing the comment from infront of it? (#) ----------------------------------- Homer_simpson Tue Aug 26, 2003 3:08 am ----------------------------------- yes i have :lol: still doesn't work... this is what it looks like now ErrorDocument 404 /missing.php ----------------------------------- octopi Tue Aug 26, 2003 3:12 am ----------------------------------- what kind of error are you getting? Do you get the default error page still? Or do you get another one saying File Not Found, and Additional error occured trying to find the error document.? Did you add a .htaccess file? Does the file missing.php exist in the main dir? ----------------------------------- Homer_simpson Tue Aug 26, 2003 12:17 pm ----------------------------------- Internal Server Error The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request. Please contact the server administrator, admin@localhost and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error. More information about this error may be available in the server error log. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Apache/1.3.23 Server at localhost Port 80 ----------------------------------- rizzix Tue Aug 26, 2003 12:50 pm ----------------------------------- take a look at ur error log. what do u find there? ----------------------------------- Homer_simpson Tue Aug 26, 2003 1:27 pm ----------------------------------- the 404 message : [Tue Aug 26 13:37:05 2003] [error] [client 24.107.203.90] File does not exist: c:/apache/htdocs/default.ida ----------------------------------- Blade Tue Aug 26, 2003 2:31 pm ----------------------------------- okay, i tested this custom 404 on my windows server. what i did was i added my line to the httpd.conf file ErrorDocument 404 /missing.php i restarted my server.... then went to localhost/poop.htm it gave me a default error page, so i went to my error.log to check out to see where it was looking... prettymuch the documentroot + the file you specified (in my case missing.php) thats what should have happened to you. however, did you restart your server after editing your httpd.conf? ----------------------------------- Homer_simpson Tue Aug 26, 2003 4:31 pm ----------------------------------- 100 times :S ----------------------------------- octopi Tue Aug 26, 2003 8:59 pm ----------------------------------- Is there a reason your requesting the file the code red virus uses? I'm confident your not showing us the proper lines from the error log. ----------------------------------- Amailer Tue Aug 26, 2003 9:08 pm ----------------------------------- How about someone just give them their Httd file??? ----------------------------------- octopi Tue Aug 26, 2003 9:13 pm ----------------------------------- Well....if he made a .htaccess file like I mentioned...he wouldn't have nearly as many problems. its pretty simple. make a file name .htaccess put this line in it: ErrorDocument 404 /missing.php You don't need to restart your server or anything. If hes getting an Internal Server error, something else is wrong. He must have fucked up his config file, or the .htaccess file. If he shows us the right lines from his error log it would be alot easier to help him though.... ----------------------------------- Homer_simpson Wed Aug 27, 2003 1:36 pm ----------------------------------- this is my conf directory + my error log