----------------------------------- Banished_Outlaw Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:56 pm What languages do they teach in Waterloo or UFT for Software Engineering? ----------------------------------- What languages do they teach in Waterloo or UFT for Software Engineering? Are turing and basic stuff in Java good enough to prepare us for whats coming in university? ----------------------------------- Tony Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:29 pm RE:What languages do they teach in Waterloo or UFT for Software Engineering? ----------------------------------- You shouldn't worry too much. Most University programs account for the fact of various background knowledge and that some enter with [url=http://compsci.ca/blog/on-entering-the-computer-science-field-with-no-programming-background/]no programming background what-so-ever. Having done some programming before, you should be well positioned to tackle the learning curve. ----------------------------------- Banished_Outlaw Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:33 pm Re: What languages do they teach in Waterloo or UFT for Software Engineering? ----------------------------------- Yeah that article is really helpful. I heard university level programming is hardcore though. :shock: ----------------------------------- Dan Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:45 pm RE:What languages do they teach in Waterloo or UFT for Software Engineering? ----------------------------------- Also a goood university program will not use the same langue all the way threw. I don't think there is one language that can be used to properly demistaint all conspects that are needed for a rounded computer sci education. Once you understand the conspects behind computer science, the language is only a matter of looking up the command you need from the documentaion of the language. With that being side, most unviseritys start off with common languages like C, C++ and Java to teach the basics and once you get to the more complex ideas they go to more speslaized langues like LISP, PROLOG, ect. Also many classes i have had affter 1st year don't care what language you use as long as you can turn the conspects in to working code. ----------------------------------- Hikaru79 Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:07 pm Re: RE:What languages do they teach in Waterloo or UFT for Software Engineering? ----------------------------------- With that being side, most unviseritys start off with common languages like C, C++ and Java to teach the basics and once you get to the more complex ideas they go to more speslaized langues like LISP, PROLOG, ect. Also many classes i have had affter 1st year don't care what language you use as long as you can turn the conspects in to working code. That's the usual pattern, but since you're asking about Waterloo in 2008, I assume you'll be part of the 2008 frosh (if you decide to come here), so things will be a bit different. The fall term coming up is going to be the first year that sees a fairly major rehaul in the first-year CS offerings. Java/C/C++ are nowhere to be found and instead, Scheme and Python are your choices. More details on this thread: http://compsci.ca/v3/viewtopic.php?t=15639 Granted, I'm not sure if Software Engineering is jumping on board this ship, but since traditionally their first-year CS course's were the same as Math faculty's CS courses, it's probably a safe bet that you'll be presented with a similar option. But that's something you probably want to check first. Hope this helps :) PS: But yeah, as Tony said, most of them are pretty no-background. At the very least, you always have the option of no-background in first year, and it's hella easy to switch your CS courses in first year in the first month, in case you over-or-under-estimated yourself. ----------------------------------- Prabhakar Ragde Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:22 pm Re: What languages do they teach in Waterloo or UFT for Software Engineering? ----------------------------------- Official details on new first-year courses in CS at UW at this link: http://www.cs.uwaterloo.ca/prospect/placement.shtml C is used in the second course for CS majors. SE has decided not to go with these courses. They will develop their own C++-based courses.