----------------------------------- PaddyLong Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:47 am new ontario marking scheme (levels) ----------------------------------- this is something that seems interesting to me... pretty much anyone who doesn't go to my school that I talk to seems to be getting far higher marks than anyone at my school for example... some girl who goes to my school and is like one of the top 2 or 3 students graduating (so she's obviously pretty smart) got turned down from a couple universities because her average wasn't a 90 or something... but at our school the highest you can really get is an 89 (sometimes you can get a low 90, but those are rare) and that's doing really well (like the smartest kids at our school get 89's type of thing) ----------------------------------- krishon Wed Jul 02, 2003 11:01 am ----------------------------------- ye..same...but i dunno the marking scheme in my private school has changed.....i have an 89 for the final term....but i can do much better...ppl at my school have 97 avgs... :shock: i know its nuts... ----------------------------------- Asok Wed Jul 02, 2003 12:28 pm ----------------------------------- let's just say I have 4 +'s after my A currently, I don't see how that's supposed to work but I wont complain :) ----------------------------------- Catalyst Wed Jul 02, 2003 2:37 pm ----------------------------------- some teachers in my school use it some dont some of them use it stupidly tho, for examples shell give a lvl 4 on a perfect paper then count it in the final mark as an 85 ----------------------------------- PaddyLong Wed Jul 02, 2003 2:55 pm ----------------------------------- yeah that's exactly what I'm talking about Catalyst... the levels are too limiting compressing a range of 50 marks into 12 ... that just doesn't cut it (not that I care any more... was just curious to see what was happening at other schools) ----------------------------------- Tony Wed Jul 02, 2003 3:23 pm ----------------------------------- i dont think we use levels... much... I know I'm getting 95 in compsci and we got that one girl in school thats getting like 99.5 in bio :shock: ----------------------------------- naoki Wed Jul 02, 2003 4:24 pm ----------------------------------- i think there's supposed to be some new marking scheme, but only the science teachers use it. basically instead of giving you one mark they split it up into knowledge & understanding, inquiry, making connections and application (not sure about last one). that makes it really confusing, because she'll never give us a direct mark, but she's never disagreed when we take our mark as the total. so, is this the marking scheme you guys are talking about? ----------------------------------- PaddyLong Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:03 pm ----------------------------------- that's part of it... but rather than getting an actual percentage, you just get like a 1, 2, 3 or 4 and then added on can be +/- the way it works at my school is that 1 is 55 and 1- is 52 and 1+ is 57 and then it goes like that for 2 and 3 but with 60's (ie 62, 65, 67) and 70's and then a 4 is 89 4- is 83 and 4+ is 93 ... basically it's like the letter grades but with numbers ----------------------------------- Andy Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:16 pm ----------------------------------- the science thing is so gay... i'm failing science cause i dun have any communication skills ----------------------------------- Asok Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:20 pm ----------------------------------- the level system is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Do they think teachers can't count or something? If they are just replacing A,B,C,D with 1,2,3,4 then the board should all be fired because that's a total waste of money to keep them there. The money could then be used to increase teacher's sallaries because to be honest, they deserve more than what they get now. ----------------------------------- krishon Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:22 pm ----------------------------------- ye...i agree too...its a useless system ----------------------------------- SilverSprite Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:29 pm ----------------------------------- hmm i think they just don't want students in canada to get close to 100% or something? maybe so they can keep the students in canada instead of having them move on over to the states? ----------------------------------- krishon Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:34 pm ----------------------------------- that's stupid...if ur reaosn is really true, kill whoever is in charge of education....but it depends...if the brain drain is really really big...then they have a point, otherwise...its stupid. ----------------------------------- Asok Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:42 pm ----------------------------------- SilverSprite, that's flawed logic because the minister of education would want reports to show higher marks to display he's doing a good job not lower marks. Why would the minister of education diliberately harm their own reputation? Your reasoning doesn't make sense. ----------------------------------- AsianSensation Wed Jul 02, 2003 6:39 pm ----------------------------------- aren't we copying the states then? if we are using level 1 - 4, they have been using it for a long long time now....maybe it's because we are so close to USA? ----------------------------------- Dan Wed Jul 02, 2003 7:04 pm ----------------------------------- the level thing is soooooo dum, i think the way its spoted to work is that lvl 3 is perfictk and 4 is going better the perfick. which is the dumest thing, so you could get perfick on somting and only get 80%. in elemetry school i had a computer techer that whould go by this and the higheted mark was a 3+ wich was equal to 85%. that pissed me off soooo much i mean i got peficked on everying in computers in graded 8 and only got a 85%!!! ----------------------------------- Asok Wed Jul 02, 2003 7:48 pm ----------------------------------- k NEW SYSTEM: Anyone caught using the number system gets kicked in the crotch. yey! I've restored law and order! ----------------------------------- SilverSprite Wed Jul 02, 2003 7:56 pm ----------------------------------- thats why i had the question marks asok it was just a suggestion lol i dont know the real reason sheesh :S ----------------------------------- naoki Wed Jul 02, 2003 11:27 pm ----------------------------------- man i guess i'm lucky i'm not part of the Double Cohort it'd be hell trying to get good marks while trying to understand how to get a good one ----------------------------------- krishon Thu Jul 03, 2003 8:55 am ----------------------------------- lol, y wuts ur average? ----------------------------------- PaddyLong Thu Jul 03, 2003 9:44 am ----------------------------------- this double cohort thing isn't a big deal for compsci... I applied to several universities and colleges and got accepted at all but waterloo and my marks really aren't that great but I do know of some people who probably normally would have got into the programs they wanted, but didn't ----------------------------------- Andy Thu Jul 03, 2003 9:46 am ----------------------------------- i got my reportcard yersturday and my marks sucked ass... damn robotics oh well i have 100 in compsci that's all i care about ----------------------------------- SilverSprite Thu Jul 03, 2003 1:21 pm ----------------------------------- i ended up with 99 in compsci.. you beat me dodge:D and my robotics went up to 91:D:D ----------------------------------- naoki Thu Jul 03, 2003 1:34 pm ----------------------------------- my average got killed by english. at this point it stands at 91.8 but if my english wasn't so low i know i would've gotten 93 easily :evil: i dunno if it's still the case, but did a lot of universites add more rooms for the increased number of students? i heard there were massive shortages in the big U's. ----------------------------------- AsianSensation Thu Jul 03, 2003 1:37 pm ----------------------------------- WHAT?? you had 91 in robotics??? I only got 88, and I got 97 in compsci, looks like both of you beat me, but then again, I kept on fooling around in robotics, the teacher even wrote this: Meng is an excellent student, but wastes time and effort talking and foolishg around in class when he should be completing projects. A more dedicated effort is required if Meng is to achieve the level he is capable of in future courses. lol, i guess that's what i get for not ever working in class. oh, the science teacher practically wrote the same thing about me. ----------------------------------- krishon Thu Jul 03, 2003 4:29 pm ----------------------------------- well maybe ur robotics is like our tech design...we build robots for our isp...so frustrating doin the wiring.....i got 94 in that course...and 99 in computers ----------------------------------- Andy Thu Jul 03, 2003 5:07 pm ----------------------------------- wow i smoked every one yay me!!! lol hey my math mark went up by 5 percent ----------------------------------- SilverSprite Thu Jul 03, 2003 5:20 pm ----------------------------------- my math went up 8 percent and my finite went up 7 percent and you know what levack said on my report card asian? he said i was struggling with the stuff at the beginning.. can you believe it!! akh.. that *mumble**mumble* ----------------------------------- Andy Thu Jul 03, 2003 5:22 pm ----------------------------------- oh mr.braithwait said i would've done better if i did some homework, ha homework, screw him ----------------------------------- SilverSprite Thu Jul 03, 2003 5:22 pm ----------------------------------- you think i do my homework dodge? ----------------------------------- Andy Thu Jul 03, 2003 5:24 pm ----------------------------------- did u have a 100 when u were done? ----------------------------------- SilverSprite Thu Jul 03, 2003 5:27 pm ----------------------------------- nope close though.. ----------------------------------- naoki Thu Jul 03, 2003 6:13 pm ----------------------------------- i have 2 do homework cuz i'm an idiot that, and i have to study from something ..... dang azn u musta been killer in that class to get an 88 and still get told off by levack ... ----------------------------------- AsianSensation Thu Jul 03, 2003 8:54 pm ----------------------------------- who does math homework nowadays, I never did in class, and Braithwaite threathens to round down my marks if I don't start doing homework. well, he can only round down if I don't get perfect right? :D :D :D :D but I still don't like the new marking system, and especially because we are in enriched, they don't give high 90s to people, classes like science or english, they all give high 80s, man, my parents wanted to kill me after they saw my report card... ----------------------------------- hello Thu Jul 03, 2003 9:42 pm ----------------------------------- Hey i want my report card... how come i dun have my dodge got his and i have the same last name as him :( ----------------------------------- SilverSprite Thu Jul 03, 2003 9:47 pm ----------------------------------- my brother got his two days before i got mine so dont worry ----------------------------------- Mazer Fri Jul 04, 2003 7:30 am ----------------------------------- dodge got his and i have the same last name as him :( your last name is tomahawk? :lol: :lol: of course i'm kidding but i couldn't resist such a dumb joke ----------------------------------- krishon Fri Jul 04, 2003 10:04 am ----------------------------------- lol, that wuz purty bad ----------------------------------- naoki Fri Jul 04, 2003 6:40 pm ----------------------------------- obvious jokes are still jokes ...