----------------------------------- Homer_simpson Tue Jul 01, 2003 5:24 pm Angle of a line... ----------------------------------- how do i calculate angle A knowing that line1 is always horizontal and having the coordinates of line2... i know it has to be done using Sine and Cosine but i dont exactly know how.... http://www.compsci.ca/bbs/download.php?id=416 Haven't had math in while so i've forgotten a few stuff... =/ ----------------------------------- Catalyst Tue Jul 01, 2003 5:40 pm ----------------------------------- SOH CAH TOA sin=op/hyp your hyp is the distance from point1 to point2 since line 2 is always horizontal that distance is y2-y1 angle=sin-1((y2-y1)/distance (p1,p2)) ----------------------------------- Andy Tue Jul 01, 2003 5:40 pm ----------------------------------- since tan of an angle is the oposite side over the adjancent side, you simply set up an equation of tan(x)=10/20 tan(x)=1/2 then u juss do tan inverse and you get 45 degrees ----------------------------------- SilverSprite Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:07 pm ----------------------------------- yepyep just something to add.. since tan is opposite side over adjacent side.. that means that it is simply the slope of the line meaning that tanA where A is the required angle is equal to the slope of the line.. so A = arctand(slope of line) ----------------------------------- Homer_simpson Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:44 pm ----------------------------------- hmmm.... got it!!! thx... here's another question how do i caculate tangent (a) in Turing? ----------------------------------- Andy Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:53 pm ----------------------------------- there is no tangent in turing, but since tan(A)=sin(A)/cos(A) just substitute it ----------------------------------- Homer_simpson Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:58 pm ----------------------------------- no it's not i thought of that and i tried it b4 it doesn't work !!! =( Edit:oh wait nvm i used cos instead of cosd now it works... function tan (r : real) : real result (sind (r) / cosd (r)) end tan put tan (1) how do i do arctan or sine-1? **-1 doesn't work =/ ----------------------------------- AsianSensation Tue Jul 01, 2003 8:52 pm ----------------------------------- funny thing is, the geniuses who made turing(tom) decided not to put a inverse cos and sin function, said it was irrelevant. so the best bet for using inverse tan is to make one urself.... ----------------------------------- Catalyst Tue Jul 01, 2003 9:09 pm ----------------------------------- such an old post (this is also in the help file) http://www.compsci.ca/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=263&highlight=inverse ----------------------------------- AsianSensation Tue Jul 01, 2003 9:19 pm ----------------------------------- *stick foot in mouth whoa, they had an arctan function? damn.......Im ignorant....... ----------------------------------- Andy Tue Jul 01, 2003 9:43 pm ----------------------------------- wow that's really cool... make ur own inverse functions ----------------------------------- SilverSprite Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:46 pm ----------------------------------- its math dodge.. you go to massey you should undetrstand those.. ----------------------------------- Homer_simpson Wed Jul 02, 2003 12:00 am ----------------------------------- i didn't know they had arctan tangent in turing either... in fact that was all that i needed... so here's how it goes: View.Set ("offscreenonly") var x1, x2, y1, y2, b := 0 var slope, ang : real x1 := 100 y1 := 100 loop mousewhere (x2, y2, b) drawline (0, y1, 640, y1, 12) if not (x2 = x1) then slope := (y2 - y1) / (x2 - x1) end if ang := arctand (slope) locate (1, 1) put "coords : ", x1, "/", y1, "/", x2, "/", y2 put "slope : ", slope put "angle :", ang drawline (x1, y1, x2, y2, 9) delay (5) View.Update cls end loop ----------------------------------- Catalyst Wed Jul 02, 2003 12:15 am ----------------------------------- there some problems there such as the negative angles and the fact and from 180 to 270 show as 0-90 ----------------------------------- Homer_simpson Wed Jul 02, 2003 12:37 am ----------------------------------- lol well yeah... but it is fixable if you try to fix it... i have fixed it and used it in my new particle engine with gravity support which i'll upload in a few minutes... ----------------------------------- Andy Wed Jul 02, 2003 9:25 am ----------------------------------- its math dodge.. you go to massey you should undetrstand those.. sorry silversprite that i'm not as smart as you plus i suck at turing, i didn't even know about arctan ----------------------------------- SilverSprite Wed Jul 02, 2003 11:13 am ----------------------------------- ... i suck at turing, i didn't even know about arctan omg GEEK :P ----------------------------------- Andy Thu Jul 03, 2003 9:51 am ----------------------------------- ? how does that work... ur calling me a geek cause i don't spend time programming? ----------------------------------- SilverSprite Thu Jul 03, 2003 1:47 pm ----------------------------------- nope.. just cuz you find it your duty or a need to memorize all turing commands... like it'll matter ----------------------------------- krishon Thu Jul 03, 2003 4:32 pm ----------------------------------- lol, silversprite's got a point there ----------------------------------- Andy Thu Jul 03, 2003 5:13 pm ----------------------------------- no i was simply admitting that i'm not some compsci wiz ----------------------------------- SilverSprite Thu Jul 03, 2003 5:31 pm ----------------------------------- lol, silversprite's got a point there thx krishon.. its the truth lol no i was simply admitting that i'm not some compsci wiz you sure do an excessive amount of compsci.. and your still not a wiz? ? how does that work... ur calling me a geek cause i don't spend time programming? i'm just playing around with you dodge.. you know me.. dont take it personally jkjkjkJK ----------------------------------- Andy Thu Jul 03, 2003 5:39 pm ----------------------------------- hey man ever heard of china man dun understand sarcasm? ----------------------------------- SilverSprite Thu Jul 03, 2003 5:49 pm ----------------------------------- nope and dont care ----------------------------------- Homer_simpson Thu Jul 03, 2003 6:03 pm ----------------------------------- This discussion is giong off topic and getting stupid again... so just stop here... ----------------------------------- Andy Thu Jul 03, 2003 7:01 pm ----------------------------------- well we finished answering ur question didn't we? ----------------------------------- Homer_simpson Thu Jul 03, 2003 7:36 pm ----------------------------------- well then i dont see reason to start a new nonsense discussion and spam the forum... ----------------------------------- JSBN Thu Jul 03, 2003 11:58 pm ----------------------------------- This reminds me, does any1 still want those trajectory formulas? ----------------------------------- JayLo Fri Jul 04, 2003 12:07 am ----------------------------------- yes, please.