----------------------------------- rizzix Sun Jun 29, 2003 8:58 pm lol one of the best anti-windows jokes around ----------------------------------- http://www.deanliou.com/WinRG/WinRG.htm yea i'm pro mac 8) ----------------------------------- Tony Sun Jun 29, 2003 9:50 pm ----------------------------------- not as much pro-mac, more of anti-windows, but still funny in many ways :lol: ----------------------------------- PaddyLong Sun Jun 29, 2003 9:50 pm ----------------------------------- that isn't really pro mac... just anti ms... still funny but if you want some real humour check this out :D http://www.shackspace.com/~gauss@shackmail.com/mac.wmv edit: aww poo looks like it's not up any more... and I can't attach it here :/ ----------------------------------- Amailer Sun Jun 29, 2003 10:36 pm ----------------------------------- "pro-mac" means anti windows...and PaddyLong that site does not work ----------------------------------- Dan Sun Jun 29, 2003 11:40 pm ----------------------------------- "pro-mac" means anti windows...and PaddyLong that site does not work not ture, i am anti-windows and even more anti-mac. What about linux poleop?!?!?!? it not mac and not ms bull shit! plus it is free, all hail the pengue! ----------------------------------- PaddyLong Sun Jun 29, 2003 11:42 pm ----------------------------------- righto... there exists not just two OSes of macOS and windows therefore anything against either is not directly pro the other. I need somewhere to upload the video because it is great hilarities. ----------------------------------- rizzix Mon Jun 30, 2003 2:40 pm ----------------------------------- there are a lot more mac-windows wars around, as comapred to linux-windows wars. so yea, usually pro-mac dudes are anti-win dudes. I like linux too. thoug i prefer my osx. I'ts UNIX!!! same thing. but just more support! ----------------------------------- PaddyLong Mon Jun 30, 2003 5:15 pm ----------------------------------- mmm pretty much any one is an anti-windows person... and I would actually say there's more linux-windows wars around just because of how stingy ms is and how open linux is... and then it seems that the mac guys try to jump in and start something with windows... ----------------------------------- Asok Mon Jun 30, 2003 5:54 pm ----------------------------------- you guys all suck BeOS forever! :P Download it [url=http://www.bebits.com/app/2680]here if you're man enough! :P ----------------------------------- rizzix Mon Jun 30, 2003 6:19 pm ----------------------------------- mmm pretty much any one is an anti-windows person... and I would actually say there's more linux-windows wars around just because of how stingy ms is and how open linux is... and then it seems that the mac guys try to jump in and start something with windows... since windows 3.x the mac dudes were annoyed with M$. Why? well they felt M$ copied the GUI concept from them. Thats when all the mac-win wars began. Linux dudes are now only fighting for recognition. Their real competition is the mac.. since its attracting off a lot of UNIX developers to its side!! BeOS is a cool concept. But not very productive, just like Linux. I think it's only the Mac and Win that are highly productive platforms right now. ----------------------------------- Miyoko Mon Jun 30, 2003 7:39 pm ----------------------------------- Hmm, okay well this debate has been going on for a while; it really just depends on what the computers purpose is. If you are a graphic artist, or do alot of sound work then the MAC os is used. If you are someone of simple needs such as checking your e-mail or browsing the net you choose the windows OS. If you are working with deticated servers, or any type of server application you choose linux. As far as these windows flash things go, they arn't funny. At all, you have the realize, windows doesn't make any mistakes; I have never had windows ever just crash out of the blue. It's always a series of isolated incodents that lead up to windows crashing, like the inability to free allocated memory from some programs. So when the program's crash, windows sometimes won't be stable enough to deal with leaked memory. Most of the time, the crash isn't directly related to windows, but more often the program trying to interact with windows functions, and most gets a wrong return. Sure other operating systems are more stable, but all 3 are used for different purposes. ----------------------------------- rizzix Mon Jun 30, 2003 11:18 pm ----------------------------------- i thought so that u might think that only graphics artists/DTP ppl use macs. or that would be the best purpose to use macs... But macs are also use for scientific calcualtion, mathamatical modulation, high performance i/o servers (xserve all the way), and games!! your idea of the mac is primitive. what u have in mind is macos9 or below. Check out X hmm. yea windows does have poor multi-tasking abilities. :? PS: the PowerMac G5, is the fastest Personal Computer in the world as of today. ----------------------------------- Asok Tue Jul 01, 2003 2:28 am ----------------------------------- PS: the PowerMac G5, is the fastest Personal Computer in the world as of today. big lie. first off the stats if you want toy check them out are here: http://www.apple.com/powermac/specs.html anyways my server owns the hell out of it. It's an Xbox running Linux :) 100x more stable :P ----------------------------------- rizzix Tue Jul 01, 2003 8:08 am ----------------------------------- PS: the PowerMac G5, is the fastest Personal Computer in the world as of today. big lie. first off the stats if you want toy check them out are here: http://www.apple.com/powermac/specs.html anyways my server owns the hell out of it. It's an Xbox running Linux :) 100x more stable :P true but a dual 2ghz ppc or out beats a dual xeon. and single 2ghz ppc outbeats the 3ghz intel. this funny speed rating has always been the case for PowerPC chips dunno why. They probably mesure its speed differently :? ----------------------------------- PaddyLong Tue Jul 01, 2003 10:50 am ----------------------------------- naw rizzix... it's probably a similar thing with the AMD/intel thing... where the AMD uses a faster internal clock so its speed reads lower... but if you were to measure the processes per some standard unit of time such as seconds for the AMD and its intel equivelant the speeds would be much closer.... so it's probably just that the mac processors have a faster internal clock and also, the speed that it reads isn't the only contributor to how well it performs... but I will say that macs do tend to be more stable than pcs... for the simple reason that you aren't constantly swapping the parts and stuff ----------------------------------- rizzix Tue Jul 01, 2003 2:37 pm ----------------------------------- actually i think the performance of the G5 is all because of it's amazing fast BUS speed. 1ghz :shock: !!! no pc chipset have broken the 800mhz barrier. The G5 has. ----------------------------------- Dan Tue Jul 01, 2003 2:57 pm ----------------------------------- As far as these windows flash things go, they arn't funny. At all, you have the realize, windows doesn't make any mistakes; I have never had windows ever just crash out of the blue. It's always a series of isolated incodents that lead up to windows crashing, like the inability to free allocated memory from some programs. So when the program's crash, windows sometimes won't be stable enough to deal with leaked memory. Most of the time, the crash isn't directly related to windows, but more often the program trying to interact with windows functions, and most gets a wrong return. Sure other operating systems are more stable, but all 3 are used for different purposes. that may be ture but windows is spoteds to keep ruing when a window or porgame crashes that was what it was desigend to do. also i have had windows crash by it's self with no progames running lots of times, not to metion M$ dum ass progmaes crashing it as well. hell i formated my computer and ran there intaller and that even crashed once, lol. ----------------------------------- Miyoko Wed Jul 02, 2003 8:04 pm ----------------------------------- Technically anything can go wrong, mostly if things like cd's are crashing, it's a problem with the device or the CD. The device recieves something wrong, the program gets a different value, boom it crashes. If you clear your files once and a while, defrag once a month; nothing will happen. I mean, you may have an application or two crash, but not likely. What I ment by no programs is nothing, just explorer. If there are no applications running, I can almost guarintee that nothing will happen. Unless of course your hard drive has corrupted windows files. Which is a problems with all systems. If you have a corrupted system file, of course something is going to mess up sometime. PS: the PowerMac G5, is the fastest Personal Computer in the world as of today. big lie. first off the stats if you want toy check them out are here: http://www.apple.com/powermac/specs.html anyways my server owns the hell out of it. It's an Xbox running Linux :) 100x more stable :P It's funny because that's all they are good for, I mean besides the fact that I can download all the games they have for PC; whats the point in having one. It's a cheap fast solution for a server, when you load an OS it becomes next to incapable to run many new games as fast as it should. =) I remember going to some type of tech fair, the people there were winners of some grade 6 contest. So I was there, along with a friend of mine. Now this was around the time of the Imac ... the "new" Imac. :lol: There was someone from the're from mac showing people the graphical design stuff that Mac had. I was impressed then, now last year we got a visit from a professional Graphical Artist, again just stunned again. So Mac believe it or not throughout all it's critism is a very good machine\OS. I'm not doubting anyone there, it's just that these OS's surve different purposes, and the uneducated like to take stabs at things they don't know. Sorry if that offended anyone here, it was not intended. ----------------------------------- UBC_Wiskatos Fri Jul 04, 2003 8:23 pm ----------------------------------- Um. What? Firstly, the G5 is a paper processor. The benchmarks they use are carefully selected to show that the G5 is superior, and only as a dual system. A single G5 is the one that is in all but the top models, so you should be comparing that. Also, take a look at the AMD Opteron (mmm... Claw and Sledgehammers) Secondly, the G5 is misleading. It says it breaks the "4 Gigabyte address barrier" but that's pure BS. A Pentium II and higher has a 36 bit wide address bus, which allows it to have up to 64 billion addresses, not 4 billion. Thirdly, the MacOS X as a platform is good, but it is not that stable. When MacOS X crashes, your program simply disappears and you're like, what the hell? I do like the Mac for its aesthetic qualities, but apart from that, I don't know. However, the Mac has superior ture colour representation on its monitors, which is why graphics artists like it, although they also is it because they we trained to use it back in the early 90's when the PC wasn't a good competitor. Moving on to the AMD comment. I don't understand what you mean by internal clock being faster, and thus its speed being less? The AMD Athlon XP takes less cycles to perform operations than the Pentium 4, and is thus able to run at a lower clock speed but still match a higher clocked Pentium 4 in operations per second. Personally, I like Windows XP, 98, and 2000. 95 and Me were pure garbage, and even 98 was unstable. The most I had 98 running for was maximum of about 3 days before it crashed for no reason. Yes, it does crash even if the only thing running is Explorer. Windows XP and 2000 have been solid as a rock for me, with the only BSOD I ever had being the result of messing with DirectX, although that was a while ago and now even DirectX Exclusive Mode can't make it BSOD. If you peek into memory you're not supposed to, it simply shuts your program down without affecting anything. As for Linux, it is clearly the most stable platform out there. Nearly all servers run Linux, and my friend has Linux running for the past 200 consecutive days. I personally don't use Linux much right now, but I plan to install Gentoo and build all my own stuff, that way I can modify as I wish. The main problem with Linux is the lack of industrially-known programs that can be run on it, although Wine and WineX do a good job at emulating. Linux does feature an absolutely amazing command console, and the ability to change your whole system on a whim. If anyone wants to try Linux, I recommend the Mandrake distro, Gentoo is not for new users. I also enjoy Mozilla Firebird and Gaim. The beauty of Linux is that you can go into the code and recompile, and make your own little modifications. I wouldn't underestimate the Linux fanbase either, they're a very important computing group. My friend Liam has a PDA running Linux. He's actually managed to get Quake running on it (400 Mhz processor), and even to emulate Windows 98. It's pretty nifty what you can do. Finally, the X-Box is a great console in my opinion. The new controllers are great, the graphics are great, and the games (Halo, Splinter Cell, Midnight Club) are great. Why do you not like it? I guess it's a matter of personal preference. ----------------------------------- rizzix Fri Jul 04, 2003 9:36 pm ----------------------------------- Um. What? Firstly, the G5 is a paper processor. The benchmarks they use are carefully selected to show that the G5 is superior, and only as a dual system. A single G5 is the one that is in all but the top models, so you should be comparing that. Also, take a look at the AMD Opteron (mmm... Claw and Sledgehammers) Secondly, the G5 is misleading. It says it breaks the "4 Gigabyte address barrier" but that's pure BS. A Pentium II and higher has a 36 bit wide address bus, which allows it to have up to 64 billion addresses, not 4 billion. Thirdly, the MacOS X as a platform is good, but it is not that stable. When MacOS X crashes, your program simply disappears and you're like, what the hell? hmm... well u think i look at the SPECs(although they say they the most reliable industry standard tests)... heh... i just looked at the most reliable tests, imo.. "Real World Apps" speeds. the G5 was aprox 2.1-2.5 times faster in running photoshop, mathematica (the representative said that the mac was the ideal machines for solving linear equations with a million unknowns,, or whatever..) , luxology ( i have no comment here, cuz the pc just didn't work .. hence i can't say much), ... couple of others can't remember.. oh yea.. some guy at NASA did a test on the G5, (they wanted to compare it to their current g4s, but they benchmarked it with their intels as well) the results were pretty good. the g5 won. o well.. u could argue it's because of it is optimized for floating point calculations.. (i'd agree :mrgreen: ) ----------------------------------- rizzix Fri Jul 04, 2003 10:00 pm ----------------------------------- about the crashing part.... those symptoms are of 10.0... that release was a joke.. i mean apple had to release 10.1 for free after that. heh. btw macs rarely crash (kernel panic).. but sometime (and sometime quite often with certain apps) apps crash. but yes u can Force Quit them and they do not disappear (never had these symptoms ..currently running 10.2.6). btw: wanna meet mac folks... try.. www.macosx.com