----------------------------------- HazySmoke)345 Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:58 pm Make a default page that's OTHER than index.html ----------------------------------- Sorry, I'm kind of new, this is my 5th post already :oops: Can you make a default page of a site NOT index.html? I've done some google search and they say that I could try making index.html a redirection page that links to the homepage I want, but since not all browsers redirect properly, I would like to use a different approach, if there is one. Is this possible? ----------------------------------- Clayton Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:50 pm Re: Make a default page that's OTHER than index.html ----------------------------------- why do you want a default page that's not called index.html? the filename of the page doesn't make any difference. to the best of my knowledge, redirecting is the only thing you could do, but since, like you said, not all browsers handle redirecting the same, this could pose a problem. ----------------------------------- md Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:41 am RE:Make a default page that\'s OTHER than index.html ----------------------------------- the default page is actually a function of the web server, so if you can change it's configs then you could have a default page called whatever you wanted. Why would you want to make it anything other then index.[htm|html|php|*]? Those are the standard, and sticking with standards is always a good thing. ----------------------------------- octopi Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:47 am RE:Make a default page that\'s OTHER than index.html ----------------------------------- Why is everyone telling him not to do it? Why don't people give him the answer? I understand asking questions to provoke thought, but still give the guy the answer. anyways, make a file named .htaccess (you'll probally have to make it something like htaccess.txt then open it in notepad) put the following in the file DirectoryIndex notindex.html where notindex.html is the name of the file then upload your file to your server and rename to '.htaccess' (without the qoutes) note this will only work on apache(and similar) webservers. ----------------------------------- HazySmoke)345 Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:40 pm Re: Make a default page that's OTHER than index.html ----------------------------------- Thank you for appreciating me, octopi. Usually, there is a reason why I ask questions in this forum. Since you people are curious, I shall tell you. The default page of my website is index.shtml because it uses SSI scripts. Your solution didn't solve the problem, however. Apparantly my server doesn't support it, but since you're the only one that tried, you deserve a karma point. Thanks again, octopi. :D ----------------------------------- Clayton Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:46 pm Re: Make a default page that's OTHER than index.html ----------------------------------- hmm, that's kind of interesting octopi. I didn't realize you could do such a thing. But yes, .html being the standard, my guess is that you will have trouble with this. ----------------------------------- md Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:55 pm RE:Make a default page that\'s OTHER than index.html ----------------------------------- step 1) tell us what kind of webserver you are using step 2) from there we can tell if what you want can be done. ----------------------------------- Clayton Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:23 pm Re: Make a default page that's OTHER than index.html ----------------------------------- [offtopic] step 3)??????? step 4)Profit [/offtopic] any servers you know off the top of your head that you could be able to do this with? ----------------------------------- Tony Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:11 pm RE:Make a default page that\'s OTHER than index.html ----------------------------------- .htaccess is the way to go, Apache server handles it well, though some hosts choose to be difficult and disable certain functionality. Or don't have proper mods installed. Such as you need mod_rewrite enabled for .htaccess redirects. Which are awesome! You'll find that most blogs have .com/pretty_urls/ as oppose to .com/index.php?post=123 nonsense ----------------------------------- Amailer Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:15 pm Re: Make a default page that's OTHER than index.html ----------------------------------- If all fails, a simple HTML redirect from index.html to index.shtml would do the trick :D ----------------------------------- md Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:20 am RE:Make a default page that\'s OTHER than index.html ----------------------------------- An html redirect is actually the best solution. As it works with all web servers. Apache, while quite common, is not universal. There are plenty of better webservers out there and very few of them respect .htaccess; lighttpd for instance. /me kicks apache "Take that you bloated peice of crap!"