----------------------------------- Dan Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:24 pm Hosting and Ads ----------------------------------- Due to our current hosting contract being up in a few months, and the fact that we are all out of money from our last ad income about a year and a half ago, i have decied to put a ad block at the bottom of the site. This will only be up intill we can make enough money to pay for another 2 year contract and for the domain name. If we make any extra money it will be saved intill we need it for hosting again or it will be used to upgrade our current hosting and services. I have placed the ads in the footer of the site so it should not be overly ofencisve to most people. The ads hopefully will be realted to the post they are shown under (in the footer) so it should not be to bad. Also if you wish to donate money to the hosting of compsci.ca you can threw this link: http://www.dreamhost.com/donate.cgi?id=4009 All money goes directly to our hosting bill and we can not touch it in any way so you know it goes to the hosting. I do not except many or any one to aucatly donate to us so don't feal obligated to, the best way you can support the site is by cotrubiting great content and helping other users. ----------------------------------- unknowngiver Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:28 pm RE:Hosting and Ads ----------------------------------- Good job Dan:) i was worried for a min that your paying for compsci from your pocket money:p However, i still think that there is nothing wrong with keeping the ads as it is even after you have the money for hosting..the extra money you earn could be used to improve compsci even more..i am sure you can think of something usefull to do with the money :) ----------------------------------- Cervantes Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:38 pm RE:Hosting and Ads ----------------------------------- He was paying for compsci.ca out of his pocket for a while. He's just that great of a guy. :) ----------------------------------- Amailer Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:39 pm RE:Hosting and Ads ----------------------------------- Unblocked it here xD I didn't know you guys actually got money from those ads, nice. ----------------------------------- octopi Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:52 pm Re: Hosting and Ads ----------------------------------- Roughly how much is your hosting bill every 2years? ----------------------------------- Clayton Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:04 pm Re: Hosting and Ads ----------------------------------- Dan says it's roughly $200 for a 2 year contract, but we all know it's a lot less than that :P ----------------------------------- Dan Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:05 pm Re: Hosting and Ads ----------------------------------- Roughly how much is your hosting bill every 2years? Yep, we are not quite at the bill yet but i wonted to have the money when we did. We also have to pay for the domain every 2 years but if we make alot off the ads i will probly pay for it for longer. I used to pay for the hosting intill dream host witch was the 1st host we had where we could pay for it from ads. Right now i pay for any costs the ads do not witch has not been alot. Also some good news, i checked the ads account and there was almost $100 in there already from the blog tony was runing so that gets us 1/2 way there. I have been thinking about getting a dedicated host, but that would be alot of $ and would mean the ads would stay up for some time and i am not even sure if they could support it. ----------------------------------- Dan Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:29 pm Re: Hosting and Ads ----------------------------------- Dan says it's roughly $200 for a 2 year contract, but we all know it's a lot less than that :P For the cheapest dreamhost account it is $190.8 usd for 2 years. It is about $20 to $30 for a .ca domain name for 2 years with our current register who i plan on changing to a better one. There is also some times tax on thos but i am not sure. You can do the math.... ----------------------------------- rdrake Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:49 pm Re: Hosting and Ads ----------------------------------- It is about $20 to $30 for a .ca domain name for 2 years with our current register who i plan on changing to a better one.I really hope you plan on changing registrars soon, after that issue we saw... ----------------------------------- Dan Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:52 pm Re: Hosting and Ads ----------------------------------- It is about $20 to $30 for a .ca domain name for 2 years with our current register who i plan on changing to a better one.I really hope you plan on changing registrars soon, after that issue we saw... I do, but lets not speak of it here. As soon as i get all the registration stuff in order and am sure it will not mean down time i will move to a better one. I just have to find one. If any one knows of a good .ca register with a good track record pealses post it. ----------------------------------- octopi Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:05 pm RE:Hosting and Ads ----------------------------------- I use 10dollar.ca, I've been with them for 2 years, and had no troubles with them. (they're cheap too, as the name suggests) ----------------------------------- Tony Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:27 pm RE:Hosting and Ads ----------------------------------- Actually that $100 wasn't from the /blog, so... magic? Over the next few weeks Dan and I will be running some tests with the ads. See what works, what doesn't. Most of this is directed towards the incoming search-engine traffic (not you guys), so you might not even see all that's out there ;) ----------------------------------- Windsurfer Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:56 pm Re: Hosting and Ads ----------------------------------- I donated 13.37$ to the bill :) ----------------------------------- md Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:54 pm RE:Hosting and Ads ----------------------------------- I use easydns.com and have never had a problem, but I am not sure they do .ca domains, and it's not quite as cheap as many places... if anyone knows of a good dns/mail redirector service I'm all ears ----------------------------------- Windsurfer Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:22 pm RE:Hosting and Ads ----------------------------------- Like, honestly. Through PayPal and everything. I wasn't just making some joke about ads. I donated. ----------------------------------- octopi Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:50 pm Re: Hosting and Ads ----------------------------------- md, not sure what you mean, but perhaps you mean this... I use everydns.net for free dns, they let you make your own, a,cname, and mx records. http://www.everydns.net they let you add as many domains as you have/want so its kind of nice! (i use them for all my domains) ----------------------------------- Amailer Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:57 pm Re: Hosting and Ads ----------------------------------- www.dyndns.org - free and paied ----------------------------------- Tony Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:06 pm RE:Hosting and Ads ----------------------------------- Sweet. Thx Windsurfer, it's appreciated :) Also.. ekk.. it appears there's another clone of me that has been spawned! I mean... hey md, how it's going? ----------------------------------- agnivohneb Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:00 pm RE:Hosting and Ads ----------------------------------- If you don't mind I will put a ad on my site if you have a 468x60 banner. It may help bring more people to the site. ----------------------------------- md Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:53 pm RE:Hosting and Ads ----------------------------------- I'm using mydomain as a register (pretty cheap @ $8.50 a year) and they offer free DNS etc. too. Then I'll just use google's domain services for mail :P I'm doing great tony! ;-) ----------------------------------- Tony Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:55 pm Re: RE:Hosting and Ads ----------------------------------- I'm using mydomain as a register Hey, me too! How well suited to highlight the new title! I don't think they register .ca domains, but I've been fairly happy MyDomain otherwise. The DNS resolves instantly - I can buy a new domain and have a functional site up and running in minutes! ----------------------------------- Tycoon Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:14 pm Re: Hosting and Ads ----------------------------------- Just so I get in on the topic, I use namecheap.com as my registar :) ----------------------------------- Robert Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:06 pm RE:Hosting and Ads ----------------------------------- How much bandwidth does this site use up in a month? ----------------------------------- Dan Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:10 pm Re: RE:Hosting and Ads ----------------------------------- How much bandwidth does this site use up in a month? We use about 1GB per day on just the forum, however we are expanding in a few areas like blogs, wiki, dwite and some other projects so i suspect the bandwidth to keep going up. However this is out of 2.6TB so we are almost using nothing. Space wise the site takes up about 4GB and grows at a rate of about 1GB per month, however if the site and other projects get more popualr i see this growth becoming much greater. This is out of 220GB we have in total. Also our host increases our totals by a given amount each week and will some time give use bonuses like doubling our disk space or bandwidth for free. ----------------------------------- Andy Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:56 am RE:Hosting and Ads ----------------------------------- dan, how much extra space on my ftp can i buy for 20 bucks usd? ----------------------------------- syntax_error Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:52 pm Re: Hosting and Ads ----------------------------------- um.............. just new and all but why don't u use a 3rd level hoster its free here a ling for more information: [url=http://www.unonic.com/check/?LANG=US] here I mean sure u have u put in .ca.tf but still it FREE and no long webhoster name work with or without www i no that running a forum maybe different but look at it at least ----------------------------------- Amailer Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:14 pm RE:Hosting and Ads ----------------------------------- I'm sure if you couldn't pay for a .ca you would go for one of those (.ath.cx :D), but why would you go from a first level domain to a third level domain (if you can afford the first level :P)? ----------------------------------- md Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:33 am RE:Hosting and Ads ----------------------------------- Why would anyone want a 3rd level domain? That's like advertising the fact that you are too cheap to be able to pay for things. If you want to look unprofessional I suppose... but I'll stick with my first level domains thank you very much! ----------------------------------- syntax_error Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:36 pm Re: Hosting and Ads ----------------------------------- well maybe 3rd level hosting looks cheap but for like small sites and likefree bloggers it ok...... i guess for a big forum like this 1 i guess not.... o well the ads don't kill any1 either.. p.s. if any1 whats to complain then go ahead and pay for the site! ----------------------------------- Tony Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:35 pm RE:Hosting and Ads ----------------------------------- For an even cheaper hosting, why not set up Apache on your computer and have it accessable through your IP? Forget domain name registration ;) Actually that is how we started out, but quickly run into technical limitations. That's why we pay for web hosting. ----------------------------------- Clayton Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:37 pm Re: Hosting and Ads ----------------------------------- Melting computers after 10 people log on can't be that bad can it? :P ----------------------------------- md Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:30 pm RE:Hosting and Ads ----------------------------------- My server can handle more then 10 people... perhaps it's the crappy forum software ;-) ----------------------------------- rdrake Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:35 pm Re: RE:Hosting and Ads ----------------------------------- My server can handle more then 10 people... perhaps it's the crappy forum software ;-)Nah, it was the operating system. As I recall, Dan used to run compsci.ca on a winders box. ----------------------------------- Clayton Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:54 pm Re: Hosting and Ads ----------------------------------- What difference would that actually make? Just the way the system handles clients? ----------------------------------- Amailer Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:28 pm RE:Hosting and Ads ----------------------------------- Mine can handle 16 last I checked - after 16 people are on the connection just gets cut for more people trying to visit :/ ----------------------------------- md Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:17 pm RE:Hosting and Ads ----------------------------------- I used to run windows on my server... it handled more then 10 people then too ;-) ----------------------------------- Dan Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:36 am RE:Hosting and Ads ----------------------------------- The issue was that the windows web server that was being used had a hard limit in it of 10 conecctions. This was done by M$ so you whould buy there full server. We changed to an open sorce webserver and could take many more conections but the computer whould still crash some times.