----------------------------------- Danger Zone Thu Jun 05, 2003 10:06 am Lame Program ----------------------------------- setscreen("graphics:max;max") loop for decreasing a:90..1 colourback(4) cls drawoval(400,250,a*3,a*3,1) delay(65) drawoval(400,250,a*3,a*3,4) end for delay(3000) for a:1..90 colourback(4) cls drawoval(400,250,a*3,a*3,1) delay(65) drawoval(400,250,a*3,a*3,4) end for end loop There's a typical assignment from my class, well that was last year. Now I'm taking grade 11 programming which is much worse, all we learn is record types and different variable uses, functions and procedurces etc. Most of it relates to lame math questions which require the most thinking not the actual program. For instance finding the variance and stuff. So most of the time I just come here and look at all the programs here and wonder if I'll ever be taught to program that well. ----------------------------------- Tony Thu Jun 05, 2003 1:11 pm ----------------------------------- wow, that is lame :lol: But yes, I know what you mean... And I can answer your question right now - NO, you will not be tought how to program like that thats the sad truth... schools dont teach as much as we'd like them to. Computer science is a specialized optional course that only students that are interested would take, so you'd think they'd teach you a thing or two... but they dont. Most of us learned on our own. By browsing through the help file, looking at other people's programs, discussing them at compsci.ca and constantly challanging ourselves. Thats the only way to learn really. Or take a course outside of school. ----------------------------------- Homer_simpson Thu Jun 05, 2003 3:35 pm ----------------------------------- i would wanna take a course on OpenGL outside school...but i dont think there's any... =( ----------------------------------- Asok Thu Jun 05, 2003 4:48 pm ----------------------------------- Homer, if you live in the Toronto Area check this out http://www.realprogramming.com/main.htm I've been doing C++ here for 3 years and it's a great course to do if you want to get seriously into computer science but your school's curriculum can't handle it. ----------------------------------- Homer_simpson Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:46 pm ----------------------------------- I've been doing C++ here for 3 years The i guess you must own the program eh? have u worked with opengl also?! oh and one more thing have u gone to this real programing 4 kids thing?! ----------------------------------- Asok Thu Jun 05, 2003 10:54 pm ----------------------------------- I've gone to it and I've become good friends with the owner which is why I'm giving it another shameless plug :D (that site again is http://www.realprogramming.com/main.htm ) I have worked with OpenGL but I still consider myself a Novice with it. ----------------------------------- Danger Zone Fri Jun 06, 2003 10:47 am ----------------------------------- yeah it's become evident I'm going to have to teach myself to program. I'm playing around with buttons and stuff but anyways, does anyone know if it is possible to have more than 2 people connected over a chat program? ----------------------------------- Corybu Fri Sep 26, 2003 11:50 am ----------------------------------- heres a similar program to the lame program. I wrote it last year, in the winter, and forgot about it. It had been deleted also. The origional one was crazy, I dont know how it did the things it did, I think the code was messed up somewhere... I cant replicate the first one, sadly. This one is similar though. randomize var count : int := 0 var x1, y1 : int := 1 var c : int setscreen ("graphics:v16") loop count := 0 loop randint (c, 1, 15) delay (50) x1 := x1 + 1 y1 := y1 + 1 drawfilloval (320, 240, x1, y1, c) count := count + 1 exit when count = 100 end loop count := 0 loop randint (c, 1, 15) delay (50) x1 := x1 + 1 y1 := y1 - 1 drawfilloval (320, 240, x1, y1, c) count := count + 1 exit when count = 100 end loop count := 0 loop randint (c, 1, 15) delay (50) x1 := x1 - 1 y1 := y1 + 1 drawfilloval (320, 240, x1, y1, c) count := count + 1 exit when count = 100 end loop count := 0 loop randint (c, 1, 15) delay (50) x1 := x1 - 1 y1 := y1 - 1 drawfilloval (320, 240, x1, y1, c) count := count + 1 exit when count = 100 end loop end loop ----------------------------------- Mazer Fri Sep 26, 2003 4:12 pm Re: Lame Program ----------------------------------- all we learn is record types and different variable uses, functions and procedurces etc. that's not so bad. it was worse for me last year, we didn't learn records (in class, i learned them myself) and believe it or not we didn't even get to functions until the second half of the year. but anyways, if you care at all about computer programming, you will learn it yourself. you'll spend hours at this site checking out source, reading tutorials, reading about different techniques and then you'll go back to school and show off to everyone who doesn't care. they may or may not hate you for this. but the main point is that if you're going to learn something good it's highly unlikely that you'll learn it in class. but don't let that discourage you, learn new things for fun (again, that's if you care about programming) and consider your compsci class a free period. ----------------------------------- Tony Fri Sep 26, 2003 4:52 pm ----------------------------------- most of the guys here whom others might consider l33t programmers are learning compsci this way. Personnally computer science class in my schools (both of them) was just free time and extra encouragment to push myself to learn new things. You try to improve on programs writen in class, try to write something you're interested in. Often times you can't at first - thats when you go into research. Look though the help file - find it useless and go to compsci.ca :wink: Tutorials, discussions, questions and answers - if you're interested in programing, all of us here will learn from each other.