----------------------------------- Martin Wed Jun 04, 2003 9:20 pm What is unix? ----------------------------------- I feel dumb for asking this, but what exactly is unix? ----------------------------------- Homer_simpson Wed Jun 04, 2003 9:39 pm ----------------------------------- i dunno much about unix but i know that it is an OS very powerful(unhackable) and most of the powerful servers run on unix... ----------------------------------- Asok Wed Jun 04, 2003 10:02 pm ----------------------------------- umm.. Unix is hackable just like any other OS. ----------------------------------- Blade Wed Jun 04, 2003 10:07 pm ----------------------------------- yeah unix is hackable.. but its not nearly as easy as any other system. it was built for servers of any kind, therefore making it very stable. but it is not meant to be a workstation, thats where linux, windows nt/2000 pro/xp pro comes in. ----------------------------------- Catalyst Wed Jun 04, 2003 10:22 pm ----------------------------------- it was not originally built for servers ----------------------------------- Blade Wed Jun 04, 2003 10:41 pm ----------------------------------- what i read was it was originaly built to control different things like big time security systems... but its now more universal and more commonly heard of being used for servers.. i dunno what i read could've been wrong ----------------------------------- Catalyst Wed Jun 04, 2003 10:45 pm ----------------------------------- i dont think your wrong but it wasnt originally designed for servers since it did begin in the 60's ----------------------------------- Blade Wed Jun 04, 2003 10:50 pm ----------------------------------- what i read was it was originaly built to control different things like big time security systems... but its now more universal and more commonly heard of being used for servers.. i dunno what i read could've been wrong i know it wasnt originally built for servers... thats not really what i meant, i was only trying to imply its now commonly used for servers ----------------------------------- octopi Wed Jun 04, 2003 11:57 pm ----------------------------------- Unix, is well... It really depends, I don't know what the exact definition is, but I define it as, an operating system that manages disks like this / /usr /usr/bin/perl In windows it would be like: C:\ C:\perl\ C:\perl\bin\perl All unix versions use /'s instead of C:'s to access the hard disks. Another thing thats not posible in windows is having your / only have 50mb but having your /usr have 800mb (have more space in a directory then is in the directory above it. (if you want.)) Unix's also come with apache, perl, telnet, and other things right from the get go. (Most atleast.) Unix is really aimed towards the developer, more the the end user. Its a good operating system for web development and to use as a webserver. Unix's are considered to be more stable, and handle errors, better then mac's and windows. They are also considered to be more secure, but it really depends on who's using it, and how secure they make it. You can get some pretty secure windows machines, with little effort. Unix's used to all be like dos, where you used commands to do what you want, but nowadays (with the linux, aimed at the end user) you can get graphical user interfaces to it, like KDE. But these make the system less stable. btw: su-2.05b# uptime 12:25AM up 24 days, 1:28, 2 users, load averages: 0.03, 0.05, 0.02As of right now, my unix (FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE) machine has been up for over three weeks :D ----------------------------------- Homer_simpson Thu Jun 05, 2003 7:50 am ----------------------------------- that aint true i've seen unix looking like windows and u dont have to type anything...(like dos) ----------------------------------- Blade Thu Jun 05, 2003 11:16 am ----------------------------------- Unix's used to all be like dos, where you used commands to do what you want, but nowadays (with the linux, aimed at the end user) you can get graphical user interfaces to it, like KDE. But these make the system less stable. dude, you gotta read what the man is saying... he said there are GUI's to handle unix based systems... hence KDE ----------------------------------- Homer_simpson Thu Jun 05, 2003 3:40 pm ----------------------------------- oops... :oops: sorry thought u said something else... ----------------------------------- naoki Thu Jun 05, 2003 4:25 pm ----------------------------------- i hear it's hell to set up linux, but you've got a wicked comp capable of doing many things afterwards and since linux is an improved version of unix you should really look there for understanding ----------------------------------- Asok Thu Jun 05, 2003 4:38 pm ----------------------------------- dual booting between win XP and redhat linux was fairly easy for me to set up. ----------------------------------- Blade Thu Jun 05, 2003 6:22 pm ----------------------------------- i had duel boot between madrake linux 8.0 and win xp before too.. and it wasn't very hard... ----------------------------------- hello Thu Jun 05, 2003 8:28 pm ----------------------------------- is that not a web page editor like frontpage ----------------------------------- Blade Thu Jun 05, 2003 9:24 pm ----------------------------------- no, they're operating systems (mandrake linux, windows xp) ----------------------------------- rizzix Fri Jun 06, 2003 10:34 pm ----------------------------------- i've setup, installed, uninstalled, a thousand times now UNIX/Linux systems. I personally run my own favourite, which unlike other UNIX/Linux systems is HIGHLy productive, for any one. I use MACOSX now. It rocks. I believe it currently holds on of the most advanced technologies embeded in it. Coo eh! Windows Longhorn, will come to this standard only after 2005, which is ample amount of time for the NEXT,NEXT generation MacOS. Heh, i can't wait. ya windws is pretty much behind. Anyways the only reason UNIX systems are used as servers, is b/c, as i said it is not a very productive environment for almost everyone. But o well, now i simply have UNIX installed on my comps (no dual boot!) for the sake of its amazing power, hence a great server platform. Other wize i simply use OSX. o btw: catalyst, ur a great programmer, and i belive ur interested in the graphics programming/games etc. Listen up get a mac, u'll go crazy! ----------------------------------- Catalyst Fri Jun 06, 2003 10:38 pm ----------------------------------- thx for the tip ive been considering getting a mac recently but have yet to find the $ ----------------------------------- FDisk87 Sun Dec 07, 2003 3:36 pm ----------------------------------- I have set up many UNIX/Linux machines in my day, including Solaris on x86 (I was bored one day, I wish I had an Ultra SPARC iii), FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Mandrake Linux, Gentoo, Red Hat all versions from 5 and Knoppix to a HDD. I hope to buy a MAC one day to use OS X but for now I am stuck to x86 :( ----------------------------------- rizzix Sun Dec 07, 2003 7:45 pm ----------------------------------- nice!! tried installing debian.. its a real pain.. i finally got that installed.. then later on i screwed up the whole system by corrupting the display drivers.. meh.. just to warn u guys.. hehe be careful, every OS is vulnerable at its roots. nevertheless i'm too lazy to try fix that thing.. or reinstall =/ o well.. ----------------------------------- PaddyLong Sun Dec 07, 2003 9:04 pm ----------------------------------- linux is pretty fuckin cool :D, so cool that I'm likely gonna switch over to it to use as my main os pretty soon ... next semester I start with linux/unix shell programming which should be pretty interesting ----------------------------------- Blade Mon Dec 08, 2003 2:17 am ----------------------------------- i switched over to redat 9 in september, then Fedora core when it came out.... i had tonnes of problems with FC, so 2 days later i got Slackware 9.1 and ever since then i've been on it.... i like it the most... i've seen tonnes of other ones but i'm happy with slack. i'll have to admit there are tonnes of die-hard windows fans out there, and the only reason i can think of being why, is because its "easier" to learn... anyone could probably pick up a comp and with a lil playing around they could have it figured out in no time... but there are too many downsides to it for me... i have about 1600 people at my school, and i can count on one hand how many people use an OS other then windows. the people that dont use windows are the only ones that know there's such a thing as an os other then windows... so my school doesn't have the benefit of offering that course. ----------------------------------- PaddyLong Mon Dec 08, 2003 11:53 am ----------------------------------- yeah I was planning to try out slackware... I've heard it's pretty good from a few other people. we worked with red hat 7.2 in our operating systems class this semester, I found it really really easy to set up... we had dual booting between windows 95 (and also dos obviously...) and linux I think the situation you have about no one knowing there's such thing as other oses than windows is probably the same pretty much everywhere you go except for people who actually work in the high tech field or are interested in it in some way.... ----------------------------------- rizzix Mon Dec 08, 2003 11:00 pm ----------------------------------- wel u see guys.. i dunno about slackware and the others but almost every software created (for linux specially) is packaged for redhat, debian and gentoo. now also macosx as metapkg (but this not only include the specially designed software for linux but also unix) through the metapkg.org alliance (mostly fink :) ). never the less if i chose linux i'd go for redhat/suse. but if i chose unix i'd go for freebsd! those are the best u can get in terms of compatibility, performance and security on an overall average. specilly compatibility/availability --my 2 cents :)