----------------------------------- Tony Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:04 am Note about pointing users to proper forums ----------------------------------- I've put something in that converts to a link pointing to that forum. So instead of telling users to "look in tutorials", please use "look in the link will be put in place for you. The syntax should be pretty obvious, but I'll post a rundown of forums anyways. Some have shorthand alternatives. [General Discussion] or GD [General Programming] [Contests] [C++ Help] alternatively CPP Help [C++ Tutorials] alternatively CPP Tutorials [Java Help] [Java Tutorials] [Ruby Help] [Ruby Tutorials] [Turing Help] [Turing Tutorials] [Turing Source Code] alternatively Turing SC [Turing Applications] [VB Help] [VB Tutorials] [XHTML Help] or HTML Help [XHTML Tutorials] or HTML Tutorials [Flash Help] [Flash Tutorials] [PHP Help] [PHP Tutorials] [Off Topic] or OT Other forums might be added as needed, and they'll follow the same convention. So just use this format, and we'll try to keep up. Additionally I hope to add tag links to common tutorials, but we'd have to wait for a more standardized organization of those. ----------------------------------- rizzix Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:32 am ----------------------------------- [Java Tutorials] (just testing) edit: COOL! Suggestion: ehmm take of the [square brackets] ----------------------------------- Dan Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:30 pm ----------------------------------- Nice use of the censoring system ;) Tho didn't we have plans for somthing like this for some time? Any how good job! ----------------------------------- Mazer Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:28 pm ----------------------------------- Dammit, this belongs in [News]! Stop spamming General Discussion, will ya? 8-) Ah, I guess we wouldn't be telling noobs to post in News, eh? ----------------------------------- Amailer Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:09 pm ----------------------------------- Nice, good idea/addition :D Speaking of V3, hows coming along? Dammit, this belongs in Yeah, shouldn't this be in the [news] [News] section? ----------------------------------- Mazer Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:33 pm ----------------------------------- Oh, hey, the news thing works now... ----------------------------------- [Gandalf] Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:08 pm ----------------------------------- Great! Everything belongs in the [Turing Help] forum... Now how about making it so that when you post the address of a topic, it shows the topic name instead of the url? :) ----------------------------------- Tony Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:16 pm ----------------------------------- "]Now how about making it so that when you post the address of a topic, it shows the topic name instead of the url? :) Cool idea, but that'd have to wait for now. Meanwhile I did include a link to Cervantes's excellent Turing Walkthrough :wink: ----------------------------------- Cervantes Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:41 pm ----------------------------------- I was just about to come here and make two suggestions, but it seems you're a step ahead of me on one of them, Tony. Excellent. :D My second suggestion is to automate the giving and possibly taking of bits. ie. "+30 Bits for Tony" would automatically donate 30 bits from my account to yours. I was also thinking about automatically linking user names to the appropriate profile. But that might get annoying. Perhaps it could be a 'silent link', such as: Cervantes [ url=http://www.compsci.ca/v2/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=855][color=black ]Cervantes[/color] ----------------------------------- Tony Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:00 pm ----------------------------------- the problem with bit donation is that the command will get executed each time you edit the post.. and it seems to be more work than value. as for user profiles, each post already has a profile button. And user names are already linking to their profiles outside of messages (such as who's online) Though hey -- I like how this is generating a bunch of interesting ideas :D ----------------------------------- beard0 Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:50 pm ----------------------------------- "]Now how about making it so that when you post the address of a topic, it shows the topic name instead of the url? :) Cool idea, but that'd have to wait for now. Why restrict it to only compsci topic pages? This could be used for any function geturltitle($url){ $title = file_get_contents($url); $start = strpos(strtolower($title),""); $end = strpos(strtolower($title),""); if ($start===FALSE || $end === FALSE){ return $url; }else{ return trim(substr($title,$start+7,$end-$start-7)); } } ----------------------------------- Cervantes Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:42 pm ----------------------------------- as for user profiles, each post already has a profile button. And user names are already linking to their profiles outside of messages (such as who's online) Yes, but I was thinking more along the lines of a post such as: you might be interested in checking out zylum's and Cervantes' games In the real post, you'd linked to our Evasive Maneuver's games. But otherwise, it would link the new user to our profiles. Which isn't that fantastic, but its usefulness would grow with the improvements v3 will bring to the profiling system. ----------------------------------- Mazer Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:04 pm ----------------------------------- :shock: I think my heart just imploded.